MBA/Joint Degree - Ivy League

lilA01

Well... At the moment I'm studying at an austrian university. I'm going to earn two degrees (BSc- business studies; LLB - business law). I have no working experience, except of some internships. My GPA is 1.7 - 1.8 in both programmes, but it's much harder to earn good grades here. So I'm top 1% of both programmes. Are there some chances of getting admitted to Ivy? Is it necessary to gain some professional experience? Obviously it would increase my chances....

I do not really have an idea yet, how hard it really is to join an ivy league school. Maybe someones here who can help me :)

greets Roman

Well... At the moment I'm studying at an austrian university. I'm going to earn two degrees (BSc- business studies; LLB - business law). I have no working experience, except of some internships. My GPA is 1.7 - 1.8 in both programmes, but it's much harder to earn good grades here. So I'm top 1% of both programmes. Are there some chances of getting admitted to Ivy? Is it necessary to gain some professional experience? Obviously it would increase my chances....

I do not really have an idea yet, how hard it really is to join an ivy league school. Maybe someones here who can help me :)

greets Roman

If you do decide to apply to the States, you are at the very beginning of a long application road.

Your grades are good - top 1% is excellent - so no worries there. Keep up the good work.

Whether you need practical experience or not depends entirely on the programme you are applying to. It wouldn't hurt to substantiate your academic achievements with some professional experience.

Now, as for the Ivy League, do some research on schools you would like to study at. Many fantastic business schools are not in the 'Ivy League'. The 'Ivy League' also includes some schools where, at a closer look, you would not want to be at. You need to spend lots of time on the websites of those schools, looking through admissions requirements, programme overviews and faculty lists.

The very best to you for the next year!

thank you for your answer :)

Yeah I'm so happy they published rankings for our school. Usually 1,8 isn't too good... But in my business school it's very decent.

On tuesday I'm going to have an interview in an investment company, for a parttime job. That would be at least something.

I was thinking about the MBA/JD programmes. They seem to be pretty perfect to me. But I'd say at least for the MBA I'd need some professional experience in a leading position... For this programmes you need to be taken by both schools (law+business)...

In harvard there is an interesting possibility! There's this 2+2 programme, where they take you but class starts in 2 years. So you got some time to achieve experience. For the joint degree you can be admitted one year later too... So that sounds like the best choice. Honestly speaking i didn't really have a look at all the schools.. Just kinda the ones which are well known here in austria, but i still got like one year to apply ;)

greets Roman