Go to Boston U for Master of Ed?

Carmen san Diego

Take out the loans?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should I take out 15k in loans for my first choice program?

I just found out that I got into Boston University's Master of Ed in Policy, Planning and Administration. It's my top choice, but they haven't offered my any scholarships (my application got in late because of one recommender who was having a family crises through February)

Normally tuition is $1200/credit hour, but it goes down to $600/hr for classes held after 4pm and about $540/hr for summer classes. I think almost all of the classes for this program are in the evening, in which case the degree would cost over $20,000. I have about $5,000 in private scholarships.

That leaves about $15,000 in loans. I have no undergrad loans, but this financial climate is making me think twice about taking out that amount for a degree. Is it worth it? Is there a way to ask for a merit scholarship? I've also been accepted to other, less well-known (but still solid) programs due to some special subsidies for my work. What to do?

Edited by Carmen san Diego

I think it depends on your career goals. Are you a teacher looking to gain a masters and make yourself more marketable? Are you trying to move on from the classroom into administration? Are ou looking for a PhD eventually? Will the degree at Boston U make a $15,000 difference in your current pay?