How to become a good research writer

hejduk

I did a terminal (at that time) MA program, and didn't do a thesis. While I have some experience in scoring surveys, conducting research, and presenting at conferences, I'm looking for some advice to help become a better writer. I am constantly told that academic writing is only successful if you practice, practice practice, but I don't know where to start!

Any recommendations on how you became a good writer? Books or other sources?

I did a terminal (at that time) MA program, and didn't do a thesis. While I have some experience in scoring surveys, conducting research, and presenting at conferences, I'm looking for some advice to help become a better writer. I am constantly told that academic writing is only successful if you practice, practice practice, but I don't know where to start!

Any recommendations on how you became a good writer? Books or other sources?

Well, since it sounds like you are familiar with the research process and the logical order and content of an article, I would just suggest to immerse yourself in articles from your field and then write literature reviews on them. Summarize the article in a lucid and cohesive manner.

Look through your field's publication manual. Make sure you're comfortable with all the details involved with writing articles and read through the samples.

I think my writing improved significantly as a research assistant because I was given so much literature to review.