SUNY stony brook vs. Hunter college-CUNY

jin_arthistory

Hi,

I'm vaciliating between two schools; suny syony brook and hunter college of cuny.

What's your opinion about both schools?

I'm an international student who interested in contemporary art.

In the case of stony brook, one professor shows big interest on me and promises TAship opportunity if I join with his research group. And I heard that Stony brook has quite good reputation in art history field. But, for me, the location far from NYC is not attractable since I want to stay in the city.

How about you guys' opinion?

Hunter college is as good as stony brook?

Please give me advices! :D

1: Have you been to New York City?

Hmm... It looks like the OP currently lives in New York City. ;)

Sorry to hear you've had such bad experiences with NYC. While a lot of what you have to say about it is valid, some of the figures you quote are pretty extreme. I pay less than $600/month for my share of a lovely Brooklyn brownstone apartment. It's not as big as the house I lived in back when I was in college in Ohio, but It's New York City, why spend that much time in your apartment? Commutes are long, sure, but I haven't had so much time for pleasure reading since I was in elementary school! Mid-sized cities are lovely, but as you said, you can't beat NYC's art scene and opportunities.

Look, like everywhere, there's good and bad. Obviously the OP already thinks New York is a swell place to live, I just don't want other people to read your post and dispair that by wanting to live in the Empire City they'll have to resign themselves to a life of loneliness and squalor.

Hmm... It looks like the OP currently lives in New York City. ;)

Sorry to hear you've had such bad experiences with NYC. While a lot of what you have to say about it is valid, some of the figures you quote are pretty extreme. I pay less than $600/month for my share of a lovely Brooklyn brownstone apartment. It's not as big as the house I lived in back when I was in college in Ohio, but It's New York City, why spend that much time in your apartment? Commutes are long, sure, but I haven't had so much time for pleasure reading since I was in elementary school! Mid-sized cities are lovely, but as you said, you can't beat NYC's art scene and opportunities.

Look, like everywhere, there's good and bad. Obviously the OP already thinks New York is a swell place to live, I just don't want other people to read your post and dispair that by wanting to live in the Empire City they'll have to resign themselves to a life of loneliness and squalor.

Thank you for saying good aspects in NYC. I also agree with you as a person who knows and loves NYC.

I'm born and rasied in one of the big cities in the world and enjoy the city life.

That's why I hesitate to select Stony Brook.

Do you have any idea for Hunter and Stony Brook except other aspects like money..etc???

1: Have you been to New York City?

a) Although it is modern, it's won't look European cities at all - it's really dirty. Trash is piled high on the streets in residential and commercial districts during trash pick up day, people are always in a rush, and outside of your peers at school it may be a little difficult to find friends. Friendships and a social life are crucial to maintaining your sanity in the city. Even if you've been a loner or an introvert all your life, loneliness tends to propel when you live in a large city.

b.) Can you afford it? New York is also incredibly expensive. My friend goes to CUNY and lives in Brooklyn, her share of the monthly rent is $1100 a month, and that is not even in the cool part of Brooklyn (although her apartment is nice). Therefore, she must take the subway each morning into the city to school which can be about a 45 minute to an hour trip. Also, before you leave, you need to make sure that you bring in EVERYTHING you will need for the day since there is no turning back. You may be lucky and find an apartment in the city, (I don't believe Hunter offers housing) but it will be ridiculously small and you will most likely have a roommate (I have thousands of crazy NYC roommate stories from my friends lol).

As a person who lives in a mid-size city, I know how wonderful it is to want to live in a city -- however, New York (for some reason) is just off my list. It's too crowded, dirty, smelly, tough, and competitive. However, it has a huge range of opportunities and you will never be bored. Just be prepared for the exuberant costs - your metro card will be 104$ a month, plus an additional 750-1200 in rent. If this is something you can afford ALONG with your tuition, then definitely make the jump :) My friend does TAships at Hunter and was offered some financial aid, so that offsets her costs. You may possibly be able to have such assistance too.

(As a person who lives in a mid-sized city, my total rent for a two-bedroom, living room, bathroom, kitchen, two closets (one walk-in), gym, laundry on premises, elevator and secured entry is $1100. You may get a two-bedroom apartment in the New York area for twice that, and other than two bedrooms, living room, bath and kitchen, it may only be secured entry (or not. Secured entry is pretty important when you live in a high rise). For comparison, my mid-size city is on par population-wise with places like Cleveland, Minneapolis, St. Louis, and Orlando.)

2: Hunter's reputation is better than stoney brook I think.

3: Being offered financial aid is a huge thing. You should talk to Hunter to see what they can also offer you compared to SUNY's.

4: Do you know the size of the entering class for SUNY? At Hunter it is something like 40 people. This kind of admittance tends to make you a number to your advisers and it may be hard to get personal guidance. However, you may not want it. Some graduate students are very happy to be left well alone by their advisers, while others are very dependent on their advisers for support.

P.S. Here's a picture of a part of normal Manhattan (where millionaires don't live) during trash day. I'm not making it up!! http://earth911.com/...1/NYC-Trash.jpg

Thank you for your long reply.

hmm.. I know NYC quite well. I love the city and many people around me stay there already.

I want to focus on the quality of class and education in both schools.

I asked a person who is a chief editor in one of famous american art magazines about my decision and his answer was that for art history Stonybrook is the better choice.

I'm still confused. :(

Thank you for your long reply.

hmm.. I know NYC quite well. I love the city and many people around me stay there already.

I want to focus on the quality of class and education in both schools.

I asked a person who is a chief editor in one of famous american art magazines about my decision and his answer was that for art history Stonybrook is the better choice.

I'm still confused. :(

Have you made a pro and con list? Sometimes something so easy can provide some new insights.

For me personally, I would go where the financial aid is, but if that is not a factor to you, then I can see why the decision is difficult.

It sounds like the professor at SUNY is working hard to get you in their department - at least you know that they have your interests at heart.

Have you visited SUNY's campus? That may change or strengthen your opinion.

However, it's not so much the reputation that will make or break your career, it is how hard you work in graduate school that will determine that. Have you contacted both professors and asked where their students work? How many have completed their dissertation/thesis? What research opportunities are available at each school? What research funding is available? Where and how often are their students presenting at conferences? Where have current students published their work? Those are questions you should ask your POI in order to determine the worth of the program. Again, the reputation of the school is only a factor -- NOT the determining factor. Even if you go to Yale, if you don't publish and present during your career, someone who went to a lesser school and did those things will get the job over the name. If both schools will provide you those types of opportunities, then go Hunter - at least you know you will be happy in the city. :)

Did you ask the editor why SUNY's reputation was better? I would be curious to see what attributes this person points out.

Good luck!

Have you made a pro and con list? Sometimes something so easy can provide some new insights.

For me personally, I would go where the financial aid is, but if that is not a factor to you, then I can see why the decision is difficult.

It sounds like the professor at SUNY is working hard to get you in their department - at least you know that they have your interests at heart.

Have you visited SUNY's campus? That may change or strengthen your opinion.

However, it's not so much the reputation that will make or break your career, it is how hard you work in graduate school that will determine that. Have you contacted both professors and asked where their students work? How many have completed their dissertation/thesis? What research opportunities are available at each school? What research funding is available? Where and how often are their students presenting at conferences? Where have current students published their work? Those are questions you should ask your POI in order to determine the worth of the program. Again, the reputation of the school is only a factor -- NOT the determining factor. Even if you go to Yale, if you don't publish and present during your career, someone who went to a lesser school and did those things will get the job over the name. If both schools will provide you those types of opportunities, then go Hunter - at least you know you will be happy in the city. :)

Did you ask the editor why SUNY's reputation was better? I would be curious to see what attributes this person points out.

Good luck!

It's a great advice for me.

Thank you so much.

I contact one student in SUNY even though I'm still waiting the reply.

I totally agree with you that the reputation of the school is only one of the factors I should consider.

and the editor said that SUNY has better reputation in the Criticism in art history and also said that hunter is better choice for studio art.

One of my advisors recommend to go SUNY, too.

But still I'm attracted by HUNTER.

Once, after receiving the reply from the student in SB, I would make a pro and con list as you say.

Thanks!! :-)