Full time student - need help from those in the know

tesolin4languages

Hello everyone.

I am attending University of Rochester, NY (Warner School of Education) for my MA in TESOL program.

My advisor has been telling me that it would be impossible to work while a full time student. I will have mentoring, teaching, plus class and the all the classwork.

Now, I have a FAFSA filled out, and will get the full amount for a Stafford loan twice during my stay at Rochester ($20,500x2 I think it is). (I already got approved)

Now,

1) Do any of you have any tips for people in my situation? Remember, I will not be able to work. Rochester, NY is a very cheap place, so I'm told. But what do people do in these situations? Note this is the first time I live away from my home state and away from family, so I've never been fully independent and I intend to start now :)

2) Are there other other loans I should know about?

3) If anybody is from UR definitely contact me I'd love to ask more questions!!!!

Thanks guys

TESOLIN4LANGUAGES

Edited by tesolin4languages

1. i wish you luck!

2. All this money for an MA program?!!! way more expensive than a decent PhD!!

3. I hate loans and suggest that you try to manage with what you have .. cover room and board and live like a student < 500 a month for food and etc .. should be fine ..

4. Are not you getting any money from the school for the teaching you'r doing? wont this help pay some living expenses while the loans you have already been approved for cover your education expenses??

rolleyes.gif

Thanks!

Let me just say, IDK why I forgot to mention that I did receive a 40% waiver of tuition. ;)

I don't feel right in revealing how much UR @ Warner costs, however I was approved for the full Stafford amount. I do need to establish, however, to know exactly how much I will receive, my budget.

Also note that this is a 15 month program, and requires a FAFSA of 2010-2011 (summer B, starting June 27th) and then 2011-2012 (for the rest of the program, ending Summer A) which is why you are seeing that I have been approved for two year's worth of loans ($20,500x2). I plan on paying for food, rent, books etc with this extra cash. My plan is to pay off the part that accrues interest ASAP and as I have understood (and I may be wrong, because I am a total noob at this) that I have more than 25 years to pay the rest off. This is what makes this country great :)

.........Thanks for the advice. While I will try to not spend as much, I am a person that loves to go out to a nice restaurant or for a drink at least once or twice a week. I cannot live on PB&J (or a diet of depravation just because I am a student). lol I hope you understand! I will try to be as money conscious as possible, but I need to live a little :)

And as for the fourth and final question, I am not 100% sure. Let's say I am 99% sure that I am not going to get any money from this. I did ask my adviser whether I would receive any remuneration for mentoring and teaching and the answer was "No, of course not" because I am learning, says the adviser. Of course, this is not etched in stone since I have not gone to orientation, which starts May 12th - this is where I will learn more. But I am eager to know more!

If anyone wants to answer the questions I'd be more than likely to hear your advice!

Thanks again hope hope! I appreciate your answer.

PS> Sorry if I seem rather naive on the topics. But I am here to learn! :) I cannot wait to start!!!!