LOR roulette

Hi all,

Most of the schools I'm applying to (and I'm working a bit ahead of schedule--applying for Fall '10, but my life can get hectic, and I figured I'd take advantage of what I'm sure is a momentary lull involving spare time) require 3 LORs. I've read the other posts on this forum on the subject, and I got the sense that sending 4 when only 3 are required is acceptable. But, I'm wondering . . . would it be pushing it to send more than 4? I'm in a fortunate but dicey situation--several of my old professors have offered to write for me, and I'm confident that every single one of them will send good letters. But, I don't want to look like an utter douche by sending too many, and I'm not entirely sure how to pick.

(For reference--there are six professors in question, and two of them I definitely have to ask: the first was my adviser for my thesis, and the second is currently working at one of my top-choice schools. But, then there are the other four: all four are prominent and well-respected in the field, and I've worked extensively with each of them. Any tips on how to pick, since there's a good chance I can't pick them all? Also, if this makes a difference: I'm in English Lit.)

Thanks in advance for your collective expertise!

C.

I would definitely NOT submit six. You could maybe vary the 4 recommenders, by giving them fewer letters to write total (a subset of your total application list). That said, I would do some serious thinking about who you think will write the best letter in terms of touting your qualifications, demonstrating your ability to work at the graduate level, and for their ability to do things in a timely fashion.

I think Ferraro is having some fun. Don't pick six -- don't even pick four, in my opinion.

My advice is this: first, pick only those you feel absolutely sure you can trust. Don't take a chance that someone you think thinks well of you will actually write an indifferent or lukewarm letter. Not all of them will be comfortable showing you their letters, so be sure. Next, pick professors who speak to the range of interests that you intend to pursue. If you have taught and you have someone who can speak to your teaching skills, or POTENTIAL teaching skills, use that person. Also, provide all your LOR writers with as complete a version of your statement as you have, along with a CV and list of classes you've taken. Some might also want papers you've written for them.

good luck

I would ask the school if it is ok, and see if there is a place in the application to upload "additional recommendations".

If they O.K. it, honestly, I can't see what is wrong with having the resources to say "Hey, these six people think that I would be a fantastic addition to your program."

I have a hard time seeing a graduate committee recoiling in dismay (lol) because you were able to find three additional people to vouch for you enthusiastically.