UChicago, or UT:Austin for Middle Eastern Studies

Greetings all,

I've been accepted to University of Chicago and University of Texas:Austin in their Middle Eastern Studies programs. Chicago has offered me 1/3 tuition waiver, UT has given me nothing.

I've scoured their websites, and emailed many Professors; both programs seem excellent, with many great instructors and classes. Has anyone here been involved with either program? Or know anything specific about them that might help my decision process?

Mainly I'm trying to figure out if a MA in Middle Eastern Studies is worth the $50k a year at UChicago (assuming I get no further funding next year), or if I should take the financially safer route in Austin. UT:Austin's tuition seems to be around $30k a year, so it is cheaper but not as prestigious a University.

Full Disclosure: I grew up in Chicago-land, and love the city; whereas I don't know much about Austin besides a few people fawning over how Amazing the place is. I have family very near to both cities, and many friends in Chicago. I could see a wonderful life in either place, and being close to my immediate family in Dallas would be a nice perk, but so would living Chi-town.

Thanks for your time and help,

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Anthony,

While I know nothing about UT, I do know that if you get above a 3.5 your first year at Chicago, you are basically guaranteed a full tuition waiver the second year. So please take this into consideration; I got this information from the DGS of the program.

Sincerely,

Kate