16K UC Berkeley Mechanical Engineering

Guest finallynumb03

Guest finallynumb03

I have been admitted into UC Berkeley for a PhD in Mechanical Engineering with full funding that included 16K a year which translates to about $1300 a month. This amount seems extremley low, and unliviable in an area like Berkeley. Also, it seems that most other universities centred in a similar cost of living area offer about 1900-2100 a month. Any ideas on whether $1300 a month is duable or is an outside funding source almost necessary. I don't want to be barely surviving throughout my PhD experience!

Guest Guest

I currently pay $550 for a 2-bedroom apartment in Berkeley (1 block from campus), and I know that there are many others in that price range. This amounts to around 6k a year, give or take (depending on your summer plans). So to answer your question - yes, it's definitely doable. Your best option, however, is to get a roomate; studios out here go for around $1,000/month + utilities.

Guest keejo

I was an undergrad at berkeley, and had friends living in a 2 bedroom-ish (one was tiny) apartment for $1500 (total) a month. The trick is definitely to get a roommate.

Another option you have in Berkeley is the co-ops, which offer cheap housing and fun communal living. http://www.usca.org/ There's one (or two) houses devoted entirely to grad students where you get your own room, for around $728 a month, which includes room and board & utilities and all that, or there are also apartments that range from $430 to $700 a month (no food included). I had an amazing time living in the co-ops for three years, and would highly reccomend them, especially if the department's paying you so little!