UCL, SOAS, and Royal Holloway (All UoL)

London-Tokyo

So--

It's been a while since I've been back on Grad.Cafe, mostly due to finishing up my last semester,

but also since I've been spending some time at The Student Room as well---

But, I need plenty of opinions---Full throttle--on these 3---that I'm having difficulties choosing between--

First--I must say the Ranking system under the British system is horrible--

Most of the rankings vary way too much between each other and vary way too much in less than a couple of years--

Just not as consistent as say USNews--(Accurate or not--is another question...)

So, according to purely ranking, I'd prob. evaluate---Based on their info. being pertinent to mine...(btw, this is all for Masters)

UCL (Leading Overall) - University College London

SOAS (Leading East Asian Studies) - School of Oriental and African Studies

RHUL (Leading in Arts & Politics---which IR falls under) - Royal Holloway

---Which, doesn't really help as---well, My interests co-incide with all 3---So, perhaps someone could arrange them for me?

Second--Outside of ranking, well--They're all University of London institutions---So, the apple can't fall too far from the tree--

Plus, at the postgraduate level, it's hard to evaluate the unis since so much of the research out there is for undergrad---

UCL & SOAS --location wise are central---While RHUL is a bit further away at Egham (40min)...

Hmm--I'm not exactly sure what other details to provide---But please ask if anyone needs more info, or just give me inputs as well--

Plus, an additional question is, I'm looking to go into consulting firms eventually, and well--also a second Masters in the UK,

I'm hopefully trying to do my 2nd Masters in a more related field to int'l. management or int'l. public policy (since my 1st masters will be IR),

--Would a decent GPA/Degree (First, Upper Second) aid me in getting into say Oxbridge/LSE...etc. for a 2nd Masters?

Ty.

Edit--Funding is no issue.

Edited by London-Tokyo

They're all really good universities to me. I have only ever applied to UCL (not for the same subject) and really liked it but never ended up going. If they're all the same regarding your academic interests and money is no issue, then maybe base it on more superficial things like which has a better location, what has a nicer campus etc etc?

They're all really good universities to me. I have only ever applied to UCL (not for the same subject) and really liked it but never ended up going. If they're all the same regarding your academic interests and money is no issue, then maybe base it on more superficial things like which has a better location, what has a nicer campus etc etc?

Hmm, I think the part that's confusing me the most--

Is which would be most appropriate, better---or just opinions in general...

Hmm---RHUL has an amazing campus (Founder's Building), but further from central london...

----UCL, has a semi-attractive "core" building---definitely central london.....

----SOAS, really nothing special about buildings---But also central london...

Hmm---

I'm really trying to narrow it down, because at this point---I can't blink.gif

My two cents- i'm at university in england (cambridge) and ucl has a reputation LEAGUES AND LEAGUES above the other two, soas is thought of well but just not as well known. rhul noone takes particularly serious.

ucl is in an incredibly great part of london, not campus-oriented per se but the whole area is fantastic.

ucl is very very prestigious here, seen to be in the top top ranks. the others arent really at all

hope this helps

My two cents- i'm at university in england (cambridge) and ucl has a reputation LEAGUES AND LEAGUES above the other two, soas is thought of well but just not as well known. rhul noone takes particularly serious.

ucl is in an incredibly great part of london, not campus-oriented per se but the whole area is fantastic.

ucl is very very prestigious here, seen to be in the top top ranks. the others arent really at all

hope this helps

I would like to second that.

UCL has a great reputation. It is known internationally, and some say it has lately been on the rise nationally.

SOAS is great when it comes to regional studies (especially Middle East, Africa and probably East Asia); SOAS used to be a big deal in the immediate post-colonial era and SOAS weirdly sill maintains a strong reputation in the distant parts of the Commonwealth and beyond, from what I know.

Royal Holloway - just no. It can be strong in certain areas but its overall mediocre reputation sinks its (few) advantages.

Okay--From what I'm getting...

It's prob.--

SOAS or UCL for me---(Especially since East Asia is my specialty/focus...it would be hard...)

---But yea, more feedback the better I can make an "educated" decision...

--Although I might still pick Royal Holloway (rae2008 pretty high--and relatively new yet high standard IR dept...)

---(Calmer campus...)

---Not sure--lol, I really think this back and forth thing---

Also, can anyone answer "part II" of my question? Regarding the 2nd Masters?

Would a Masters in say IPP or IS & Diplomacy from SOAS or UCL aid me in

admissions to Oxbridge/LSE?

Ty

Edited by London-Tokyo

Also, can anyone answer "part II" of my question? Regarding the 2nd Masters?

Would a Masters in say IPP or IS & Diplomacy from SOAS or UCL aid me in

admissions to Oxbridge/LSE?

Ty

The IPP at UCL and CISD at SOAS are actually pretty even imo. The IPP program at UCL doesn't exactly carry the same currency as their law, econ and medicine depts, while the critical theory-based CISD is somewhat of a flagship at SOAS, along with languages and development studies. And I don't understand why RHUL gets so much crap, it's not THAT bad, and the ladies are amazing - SOAS ain't bad either wink.gif.

Honestly, if you're looking to do another masters it makes no difference, zip, nada for Oxbridge or LSE. But if there are absolutely no compelling reasons for you to choose one over the other, just go to UCL for the reasons others have specified.

The IPP at UCL and CISD at SOAS are actually pretty even imo. The IPP program at UCL doesn't exactly carry the same currency as their law, econ and medicine depts, while the critical theory-based CISD is somewhat of a flagship at SOAS, along with languages and development studies. And I don't understand why RHUL gets so much crap, it's not THAT bad, and the ladies are amazing - SOAS ain't bad either wink.gif.

Honestly, if you're looking to do another masters it makes no difference, zip, nada for Oxbridge or LSE. But if there are absolutely no compelling reasons for you to choose one over the other, just go to UCL for the reasons others have specified.

Hmm, well my undergrad was decent, however not strong enough I don't think for Oxbridge (so I didn't apply...US student-here...)

So, if I did pretty well on my 1st Masters---It would not affect my admissions into my 2nd Masters at all? Is that what your implying...? (Not trying to emphasize or anything, just clarifying...)

And, of course I'm not doing a 2nd Masters in the same field, rather, as I explained earlier, I want something closer to Business/Management/IPP to be more efficient for consulting firms---

But yea...

I think pretty much my first question has been answered (Although, more inputs def. welcome---Basically, UCL (Eh Maybe SOAS--), then RHUL)...

But my 2nd question, it would be helpful too--Since I'm planning to do so--

Btw, is there a significant difference in getting reference letters from undergrad vs. postgrad professors?

Ty

And...PS...What does it mean "it makes no difference"? Are you talking about the 1st Masters making zero-impact on decisions? Will they still evaluate you based strongly on your undergrad? Etc...

A lot of help everyone, ty.

I would say that if you did very well in your first Master's (ideally, with a Distinction), then your chances at Oxbridge/LSE definitely increase. However, do you think of getting funding for that second Master's. From what I have heard, it is near impossible to get funding for second Master's anywhere.

All the best in your endeavours. It looks like you know what you are doing, so the very best of luck!

I would say that if you did very well in your first Master's (ideally, with a Distinction), then your chances at Oxbridge/LSE definitely increase. However, do you think of getting funding for that second Master's. From what I have heard, it is near impossible to get funding for second Master's anywhere.

All the best in your endeavours. It looks like you know what you are doing, so the very best of luck!

Hopefully, that's true. And no, I don't particularly need funding---Although always welcome...

(I know it's deviating from my original question....But all the UK experts seem to be here so...[and, I'm not particularly fond of The Student Room]...)

How exactly does the postgraduate (or in general the UK) academic system work?

My understanding is only of First, Upper Second, and Lower Second (2:1/2:2), then Third---and No Pass...

But the details of what is Distinction, how is everything graded---

That'd be great.

Ty.

Edit: Even if the 2nd Masters is in a related but distinctly separate field? Like Int'l. Relations --> IPP or Int'l. Management? (in terms of Funding)

Edited by London-Tokyo

Although I am anything but an expert: laugh.gif

1. First-class Honours (1st), Second-class Honours, upper division (2:1), as well as 2:2 and 3rd are degree classifications. You get one or another depending on your grades. As far as I am aware, those different classifications are mostly used for undergraduates.

For postgraduates (Master's only), it is either Distinction (which roughly corresponds with the undergraduate 1st) or ... well, a degree without a distinction.

For the sake of comparison, in my university, Distinction is awarded to postgraduates with the average coursework grade of 67% and a dissertation of minimum 70%. Undergraduates are awarded a 1st class degree if they have an average of 67%.

2. Yeah, I don't think it matters whether the subject of second Master's is different. I would think that a common assumption could be that if you already have a BA and a Master's degree, it would not be particularly fair to other funding-seeking students if you are awarded funding for your second Master's. I am not saying that I agree or disagree with this views, of course.rolleyes.gif

Although I am anything but an expert: laugh.gif

1. First-class Honours (1st), Second-class Honours, upper division (2:1), as well as 2:2 and 3rd are degree classifications. You get one or another depending on your grades. As far as I am aware, those different classifications are mostly used for undergraduates.

For postgraduates (Master's only), it is either Distinction (which roughly corresponds with the undergraduate 1st) or ... well, a degree without a distinction.

For the sake of comparison, in my university, Distinction is awarded to postgraduates with the average coursework grade of 67% and a dissertation of minimum 70%. Undergraduates are awarded a 1st class degree if they have an average of 67%.

2. Yeah, I don't think it matters whether the subject of second Master's is different. I would think that a common assumption could be that if you already have a BA and a Master's degree, it would not be particularly fair to other funding-seeking students if you are awarded funding for your second Master's. I am not saying that I agree or disagree with this views, of course.rolleyes.gif

Here's where I'm most confused--For example, the French Bacc. uses 20 point system, the US uses 100 point system...

70% for distinction, is that out of 100%? So, the average academic grades are in the 50s-60s then?

I did a little bit of my own research, apparently for postgraduates, most unis offer, Distinction, Merit, and Pass.

As for my 2nd Masters, oh well--if I don't get funding, you can't help it. Plus, if it's Oxbridge/LSE--I'd still go without funding.

Unis are relatively less expensive than in the US for example. Although, funding would've been nice. No hurt in trying---

So, for example later in my career after say 3 yrs in the consulting world, then I head back to get an MBA

or something similar without corporate sponsorship--I wonder if it'd hard to get funding too since that'd be a 3rd Masters...

Edited by London-Tokyo

Here's where I'm most confused--For example, the French Bacc. uses 20 point system, the US uses 100 point system...

70% for distinction, is that out of 100%? So, the average academic grades are in the 50s-60s then?

I did a little bit of my own research, apparently for postgraduates, most unis offer, Distinction, Merit, and Pass.

It's out of 100%, but unless you're doing a quant subject, you won't get more than 80% (99% of the time at least). Distinction is usually a 70+, merit a 60+ and a pass 50+ (in most unis). Most people get a merit, which isn't too difficult with enough prep.

It's out of 100%, but unless you're doing a quant subject, you won't get more than 80% (99% of the time at least). Distinction is usually a 70+, merit a 60+ and a pass 50+ (in most unis). Most people get a merit, which isn't too difficult with enough prep.

Oh wow, that's definitely a change for me. Since I did IB in upper-school, and went on to undergrad in the US...

I wonder why the system is out of 100% and yet they maintain relatively low scores--

I guess I'll ask the int'l. support to guide me when I'm at the uni.---

Which as of now still has not been decided, I think it'll be one of those--before I go on summer vacation,

I'll make it, but until then--I'm just gathering as much details to make an informed decision.

Still on finals in the US...

Oh wow, that's definitely a change for me. Since I did IB in upper-school, and went on to undergrad in the US...

I wonder why the system is out of 100% and yet they maintain relatively low scores--

I guess I'll ask the int'l. support to guide me when I'm at the uni.---

Which as of now still has not been decided, I think it'll be one of those--before I go on summer vacation,

I'll make it, but until then--I'm just gathering as much details to make an informed decision.

Still on finals in the US...

In the UK, though the system is theoretically out of 100%, for non-quant subjects at the better universities it is extremely rare to get over 75% at all (the idea being that at 75% you are writing a publishable paper, a level which few students attain, and that even the best experts in your field wouldn't get much above 80% as no-one can be totally "right" in academics - weird I know!). Often Professors will just get a 'sense' of if the paper/exam reaches first/distinction level, and then just grade it 70%/71% (I've been told this by prof's themselves). I've done 2 masters at LSE, undergrad at UCL, graduating with firsts/distinctions and the best I've heard of someone getting has been 74%. The best I ever managed was 71% in a non-quant/non-language subject. In my undergrad only 7 of us got firsts out of the entire department - other departments hadn't awarded a first in over 5 years.

Comparisons with the US grading system will just confuse you (I work at Columbia now, NYU law last year) so it's best to put it out of your head. I know that at Columbia someone averaging around 70% wouldn't be considered, but then in the US people can get OVER 100% which seems equally mad compared to the UK system!

Generally, firsts, 2:1 etc are for undergrad. For Masters degrees most london universities grade 70%+ = distinction, 60%+ = merit, 50%+= pass. Merit is very do-able, distinction is a significant challenge.

In the UK, though the system is theoretically out of 100%, for non-quant subjects at the better universities it is extremely rare to get over 75% at all (the idea being that at 75% you are writing a publishable paper, a level which few students attain, and that even the best experts in your field wouldn't get much above 80% as no-one can be totally "right" in academics - weird I know!). Often Professors will just get a 'sense' of if the paper/exam reaches first/distinction level, and then just grade it 70%/71% (I've been told this by prof's themselves). I've done 2 masters at LSE, undergrad at UCL, graduating with firsts/distinctions and the best I've heard of someone getting has been 74%. The best I ever managed was 71% in a non-quant/non-language subject. In my undergrad only 7 of us got firsts out of the entire department - other departments hadn't awarded a first in over 5 years.

Comparisons with the US grading system will just confuse you (I work at Columbia now, NYU law last year) so it's best to put it out of your head. I know that at Columbia someone averaging around 70% wouldn't be considered, but then in the US people can get OVER 100% which seems equally mad compared to the UK system!

Generally, firsts, 2:1 etc are for undergrad. For Masters degrees most london universities grade 70%+ = distinction, 60%+ = merit, 50%+= pass. Merit is very do-able, distinction is a significant challenge.

Hmm---Would you say that striving for a distinction would be like trying to hit an A-/A range?

I guess, would it be comparable to...

A/A- = 70% (Distinction Zone)

B+/B = 60% (Merit)

C & Below = 50% (Pass)

I think if it's similar to the way I outline it above, at least I can give myself a sense of the system and how hard it might be to achieve. I'm wondering academically how difficult/strenuous the UK system might be...

Is it much harder than the US system? Also, would looking at rae2008 be a better measure than league tables? (Although I've gotten a solid sense of how to prioritize my schools...)

Ty.

Edit: PS...I will update prob. in a few weeks from now my final decision :D Since everyone here's been so helpful and eh might like to know.

P.Edit: Oh and one more thing I wanted to know, the academic calendar---So, I know it's a full-time 1 yr program, so I think it's 3 terms. Is it most likely to be like having a Fall Semester (Term 1), a Spring Semester (Term 2), and no classes but just time/advising for thesis writing (Term 3)?

Edited by London-Tokyo

Hmm---Would you say that striving for a distinction would be like trying to hit an A-/A range?

I guess, would it be comparable to...

A/A- = 70% (Distinction Zone)

B+/B = 60% (Merit)

C & Below = 50% (Pass)

Nope. Getting distinction is probably way harder than getting A-. It depends on the school, of course, but I would say:

Straight As = 70%+

B+/A-/A = 60-70%

B/B- = 50-60%

Nope. Getting distinction is probably way harder than getting A-. It depends on the school, of course, but I would say:

Straight As = 70%+

B+/A-/A = 60-70%

B/B- = 50-60%

Sorry, still in undergrad. mode--Which means I forgot that in postgraduate studies, B is the new C,

and it's almost unlikely (or rather imprudent) to view postgraduate rubric in an undergrad. setting.

But, thanks to MJ. & Bukh., I have a rather clear picture of the system I'll be entering.

(Although I guess when I'm there I'll ask to understand how likely it is to achieve, academic scaling...etc.)

As for the academic calendar...Does anyone have an idea or been through the process once?

Grad Cafe--By far, is prob. one of the most beneficial forum's I've come across for postgraduate info., btw.

Sorry, still in undergrad. mode--Which means I forgot that in postgraduate studies, B is the new C,

and it's almost unlikely (or rather imprudent) to view postgraduate rubric in an undergrad. setting.

But, thanks to MJ. & Bukh., I have a rather clear picture of the system I'll be entering.

(Although I guess when I'm there I'll ask to understand how likely it is to achieve, academic scaling...etc.)

As for the academic calendar...Does anyone have an idea or been through the process once?

Grad Cafe--By far, is prob. one of the most beneficial forum's I've come across for postgraduate info., btw.

For the academic calendar for postgrad I only know LSE's system, which is classes in Terms 1 and 2, then exams in term three (usually in May) with one or two revision classes thrown in. Then dissertation/thesis to be submitted in August, so you have June, July and a chunk of August to write it up. A lot of departments banned any contact between supervisor and student from June onwards though. You are expected to start with your dissertation in the first term, and have to submit a research outline at the end of the first term to your supervisor. The London universities tend to keep roughly the same timetable so I'd expect UCL and SOAS would be the same, and certainly from what I remember at UCL undergrad it was exactly the same. I left London after my exams each time and wrote my dissertation in Edinburgh/New York.

I'd agree with Bukharan on the grading system. I'd say most people aim for a merit. To get into a masters program at LSE or Oxford you should be aiming for above 65%, and closer to a distinction depending on how competitive the courses you are looking at applying to are. I don't think you can really compare to the US system in terms of how difficult the courses will be - everywhere is different, across universities/departments etc. But a US undergrad will set you up well for a UK masters. You should be aware though that there is very generally more emphasis on exam performance, and on independent learning which can be a shock to US students (though more an annoyance than a disadvantage!)

One other thing to think about is the possibility of taking courses outside your university at other University of London colleges. I am not sure to what extent this is possible now, and possible for postgrad, but while I was an undergrad at UCL we had the option of taking courses at SOAS, LSE and King's. If you are looking at doing another masters at LSE it might be an idea to try to take a course in that department as part of your first masters at UCL/SOAS. Anyway, just something you might want to look into as you make your decision.

Edited by MJ0911

For the academic calendar for postgrad I only know LSE's system, which is classes in Terms 1 and 2, then exams in term three (usually in May) with one or two revision classes thrown in. Then dissertation/thesis to be submitted in August, so you have June, July and a chunk of August to write it up. A lot of departments banned any contact between supervisor and student from June onwards though. You are expected to start with your dissertation in the first term, and have to submit a research outline at the end of the first term to your supervisor. The London universities tend to keep roughly the same timetable so I'd expect UCL and SOAS would be the same, and certainly from what I remember at UCL undergrad it was exactly the same. I left London after my exams each time and wrote my dissertation in Edinburgh/New York.

I'd agree with Bukharan on the grading system. I'd say most people aim for a merit. To get into a masters program at LSE or Oxford you should be aiming for above 65%, and closer to a distinction depending on how competitive the courses you are looking at applying to are. I don't think you can really compare to the US system in terms of how difficult the courses will be - everywhere is different, across universities/departments etc. But a US undergrad will set you up well for a UK masters. You should be aware though that there is very generally more emphasis on exam performance, and on independent learning which can be a shock to US students (though more an annoyance than a disadvantage!)

One other thing to think about is the possibility of taking courses outside your university at other University of London colleges. I am not sure to what extent this is possible now, and possible for postgrad, but while I was an undergrad at UCL we had the option of taking courses at SOAS, LSE and King's. If you are looking at doing another masters at LSE it might be an idea to try to take a course in that department as part of your first masters at UCL/SOAS. Anyway, just something you might want to look into as you make your decision.

Merci--

All that knowledge really brought postgrad. studies in the UK into perspective for me.

As for taking other courses, the structures of taught masters look pretty stern/finite to me,

with specific courses/modules during specific terms---

For now, I'm just going to focus on finishing up, summer plans, and...etc. :P

I'll update when the time comes.

So far, I have no more questions--lol, but really this whole thread was like a personal advising session. (So many Qs, and so clueless...despite doing research...)

Let's see I've gone over...

*UCL/SOAS/RHUL (General comparison...)

*UK Academic System (Grading Rubric)

*UK Academic Calendar (Terms...)

Yup, not too much more I really need answered...(I guess the cost of a 2nd Masters maybe? Esp. if it's a diff. Masters, didn't know some uni's charged extra...Doesn't

really make sense to me but...Eh...)

If anybody has other general advice to give me, I don't mind :P I come and check pretty often.

• 1 month later...

Update:

So--As I promised, I'm ready to disclose my final choice after a lot of consideration, time, and everyone's advice.

...........Okay, it takes too long to do that--So, without further ado--SOAS, UoL :D

RHUL, I kind of threw out as an option after a long discussion and the following opinions above...amongst other things...

So, it was down to UCL or SOAS.

Reasons that made SOAS my choice:

*Core-Courses/Course Options

*Position of Dept. in School

*And...Other factors of course--But yea...

SOAS---Sept. 2011-2012, Here I come :P

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

So--As I promised, I'm ready to disclose my final choice after a lot of consideration, time, and everyone's advice.

...........Okay, it takes too long to do that--So, without further ado--SOAS, UoL :D

RHUL, I kind of threw out as an option after a long discussion and the following opinions above...amongst other things...

So, it was down to UCL or SOAS.

Reasons that made SOAS my choice:

*Core-Courses/Course Options

*Position of Dept. in School

*And...Other factors of course--But yea...

SOAS---Sept. 2011-2012, Here I come :P

Congratulations!

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but since no one gave a final reply, I thought I would.

I've been seriously considering applying to the UK for my doctorate in 2013 and am gathering as much information as possible. This thread has been wonderful.

Hope you have a great year! (check in from time to time and tell us how its going if you can!)

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, has anyone ever managed to get their grade or essay/dissertation mark changed upon appeal? I am about to graduate from SOAS MSc Development Studies. I was on track for a Distinction, but my tutor awarded me a 69% for my dissertation. I am trying to reason with him and get it looked at again or considered for 'rounding-off' of the grade to 70% (which is what they do in the Anthropology department), but he is not budging and actually being a little aggressive, to the extent that now I am worried he will be less positive on my PhD references. I am sure he would not do so, but in any case, I want to do everything in my power to have the grade changed, since I fundamentally disagree with the reasons for which I was penalised. Does anyone have any experience of this or stories to share or advise on what I should/could do?

Edited by Ulchik Dulchik

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, has anyone ever managed to get their grade or essay/dissertation mark changed upon appeal? I am about to graduate from SOAS MSc Development Studies. I was on track for a Distinction, but my tutor awarded me a 69% for my dissertation. I am trying to reason with him and get it looked at again or considered for 'rounding-off' of the grade to 70% (which is what they do in the Anthropology department), but he is not budging and actually being a little aggressive, to the extent that now I am worried he will be less positive on my PhD references. I am sure he would not do so, but in any case, I want to do everything in my power to have the grade changed, since I fundamentally disagree with the reasons for which I was penalised. Does anyone have any experience of this or stories to share or advise on what I should/could do?

All dissertations in decent universities in the UK are double marked. It might be worth having your coursework remarked because the coursework is marked and graded only by your tutor. Some tutors can be bizarre and stubborn.

Edited by orangeMan