UK anyone?

medielit

I'm going to University of London, Birkbeck for my philosophy MA! It's so exciting. Do you guys know anything about getting your Visa or how long it takes? There is so much planning involved, I don't know where to begin.

I'm a dual citizen (American/British) so I can't really help you with the visa aspect as I won't need a visa next year. However, I do know from friends who have gone abroad for study or gone to graduate programs that usually the school arranges it and all you have to do is provide them with your passport number.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to University of London, Birkbeck for my philosophy MA! It's so exciting. Do you guys know anything about getting your Visa or how long it takes? There is so much planning involved, I don't know where to begin.

Hello. I wasn't sure if you already got your Visa or not but here's what I did last year: I made a checklist of the papers that I was sending in with my Visa application and politely asked if I could have the originals back (i.e. transcripts, loan letters, acceptance letters, etc.).

If I remember correctly, it took about a week possibly two before I received my Visa. I sent my papers off in August and was able to leave the following month.

Hope this helps!

I am a long term lurker, but I'm heading to St. Andrews next fall for the MLitt in Medieval English! Anyone else heading to the United Kingdom next year or have any experiences they'd like to share?

I'm a British student just graduated from St Andrews. Have you been to visit yet? I enjoyed the small town atmosphere. There are a lot of american students at St Andrews, I think about 33%!