TC Columbia, Sociology and Education

Stefi

Hello everyone!

I am interested in applying to the Sociology and Education program at Teachers College (in Fall 2011 it will be part of the Education Policy and Social Analysis department).

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone also applied to this program or is enrolled in it. I would appreciate any advice, feedback and etc. I want to help restructure educational institutions and help shape programs or schools in New York City. Growing up, I went to inner city schools that were struggling or failing schools. However, I found the strength to succeed through inner movitation and help of teachers. I went on to Binghamton University and attained a BA in History and Italian and graduated with a 3.78. What are my chances of getting into this program? I took an Education class that covers the foundations of American Education and we discussed many philosophers, educators or psychologists like Dewey, Howard Gardner, Montessori, Locke, etc. This class ultimately made me realize my goals and due to my own personal experiences, I am interested in reforming the public education system, but particularly working with inner city schools and students.

Thank you all, I would appreciate any help!

Edited by Stefi