Should I ask for a Tuition Reduction

lynncc

I have been accepted without funding to a Masters program at a top school. I am wondering if I should write them and ask if they would consider a tuition reduction since my circumstances have changed since I applied.

Any suggestions about this topic would be appreciated!

I have been accepted without funding to a Masters program at a top school. I am wondering if I should write them and ask if they would consider a tuition reduction since my circumstances have changed since I applied.

Any suggestions about this topic would be appreciated!

If you filed for FAFSA and you're now making less money -- or have another situation going on that will affect you financially -- you can contact financial aid, explain your circumstances and see if they'll offer you more aid. For grad students, that generally comes in the form of loans or work study, however, not grants.

On the department side, if other applicants have turned down funding, there may be some money available. But if you were elligible, they probably would have already informed you, since the admissions decision deadline has pretty well passed. Department aid is usually "merit based" rather than need based, however. You could also ask if there would be any available TA or RA positions, which would cut your tuition a bit.

If you`re not financially able to attend any more, you could ask for a deferment or to be released from your decision. My understanding is that if you have a compelling reason, a lot of programs are flexible about these things.