Going to Stanford MS EE, thinking about focusing on CS

dman12

So Im an EE major at my undergrad, and Ill be going to Stanford this fall for their MS EE program. However, Im starting to seriously consider switching to and focusing on CS.

Now, the MS EE program at Stanford seems pretty flexible, but does anyone know exactly how feasible it is exactly, and how common it is?

Ive taken a couple upper div CS classes already, such as operating systems and algorithms, but thats about it. Would there be too many prereqs id need to take to do this?

Two completely different programs, different admissions, etc.

You can't just switch to another area like you can in undergrad unless the two are in the same department- and not always then. You were accepted to the EE MS program, the computer science program would have different parameters for acceptance. You could try applying to the CS program next application cycle and see how that works for you. The EE department would probably not be too happy with this, however- although since it's just a masters, it might be a bit less of a problem.

Alternatively, you might be able to work on a project that has significant CS emphasis (if you can find the right advisor), but your degree would still be in EE.

Edited by Eigen

Two completely different programs, different admissions, etc.

You can't just switch to another area like you can in undergrad unless the two are in the same department- and not always then. You were accepted to the EE MS program, the computer science program would have different parameters for acceptance. You could try applying to the CS program next application cycle and see how that works for you. The EE department would probably not be too happy with this, however- although since it's just a masters, it might be a bit less of a problem.

Alternatively, you might be able to work on a project that has significant CS emphasis (if you can find the right advisor), but your degree would still be in EE.

haha yeah, obviously I cant switch into MS CS, that wasnt my question, sorry if it was confusing. What I am considering is focusing on CS while getting my Masters in EE. The MS EE program seems to be somewhat flexible in terms of what classes and tracks you can take, so i was wondering if anyone familiar with the MS EE program at Stanford could comment on how common it is for people to do this and/or if it makes sense.

Edited by dman12

Most programs are pretty flexible in courses you can take, etc.- I can't comment on Stanford EE specifically, but I know my school lets you take almost half your courses from outside your discipline. Most schools just require courses to be "approved by your advisor", so if he/she is ok with letting you take more CS courses, you probably can.

I know I can take classes at our medical school for credit in my Chemistry program- as well as physics, math, biology & engineering courses.