need a 3rd LOR but have no one to ask

mlle

Ask the person who is able to give you the best and most convincing recommendation for your intended graduate school. It is that simple.

By the most programs need at least one academic reference, so be sure that is squared away. Good luck.

mlle:

I was in this same predicament. I did have three recommenders... but one of them was being unresponsive. I was pulling my hair out, until I took a step back and realized there were other people who could write a letter for me. I was simply overlooking them because I was convinced that the mix of three recommenders I had configured was not only the ideal one; it was the only one.

Approach several of the professors with whom you have studied, and see which one seems most inclined to work with you, for example, which one asks you for bullet points around which to write your letter. (Just because you ask, does not mean you have to accept his or her offer to write a LOR.) In any case, with a 3.8 GPA, you must have some A classes on your transcripts. Start off with those professors. What about any jobs you have held? Even if you were doing something that you consider unimpressive, as long as you showed leadership, motivation, and intellectual skills--and the recommender is willing to write about these--you've got a solid recommendation letter.

Finally, and maybe I am wrong here, I think if you have two glowing recommendation letters and one that is merely good, as long as you have a solid gpa and essay and good test scores,you should be okay. Everyone (or most everyone) will have a weak spot on their application. I would think a weak third recommendation letter, as long as it is not negative, won't hurt you.

Thanks, Linden. It's encouraging to hear that there still might be someone who would be willing to work with me.....and also that there's someone else to commiserate with on these forums!!! I do have an assistantship this year where I am working closely with the higher-ups, but I've only been working there for about a month and I don't think I've been there long enough for them to write me a rec :(

Let me suggest a different tack. These schools go through hundreds of applications when deciding who to admit. If you can't find a third recommender, ask your mom or pop. It will be unique, and though is *formally* prohibited by most programs, puts a personal touch on your application. These committees are tired, weary, fried, and so emotive, maudlin even. If they read a letter that testifies to your lifelong ambition to be an academic (and who better to testify to that than someone who has known you, lifelong?), and the many obstacles you have overcome to reach that point, they will likely be moved and give you the thumbs up on a close decision. Never underestimate the power of emotion on an audience (see: Palin, Sarah).

Let me suggest a different tack. These schools go through hundreds of applications when deciding who to admit. If you can't find a third recommender, ask your mom or pop. It will be unique, and though is *formally* prohibited by most programs, puts a personal touch on your application. These committees are tired, weary, fried, and so emotive, maudlin even. If they read a letter that testifies to your lifelong ambition to be an academic (and who better to testify to that than someone who has known you, lifelong?), and the many obstacles you have overcome to reach that point, they will likely be moved and give you the thumbs up on a close decision. Never underestimate the power of emotion on an audience (see: Palin, Sarah).

troll.

Care to say that to my face?

Its so obvious now, really =/ I think you are losing your touch. For a while I thought you might be a genuinely misguided applicant, now I'm just certain you intentionally make these asinine posts to hurt other applicant's chances.

Its so obvious now, really =/ I think you are losing your touch. For a while I thought you might be a genuinely misguided applicant, now I'm just certain you intentionally make these asinine posts to hurt other applicant's chances.

I think it's obvious to see the irony that is seeping out of ferrero's pores; that doesn't make him any less obnoxious, of course.