PhD versus ThD?

achowa00

A professor of mine suggested to me that both Harvard and Duke have a ThD program as well as the PhD and that I should look into that as well. While I've spent some time on Harvard's web site looking at the program, I can't figure out the real difference between the two programs. Why would one opt for the ThD instead of the PhD? Is it easier to get into that program?

Also, can one get hired to teach with a ThD or would that be a detriment?

Thoughts?

Harvard's program is a bit unusual; the common perception with most is that a Th.D is somehow less academically rigorous (or not intended for an academic in a teaching position). Harvard's ThD is not at all like this, and is every bit as rigorous as the PhD. Most of the Harvard grads at my religion program had ThD's, not PhDs, so I wouldn't worry about getting a job with either degree.

As for the program, I think the primary difference is emphasis: the PhD program is under the auspices of the Committee on Religion (which has more of a comparative religion or comparative theology feel to it), whereas the ThD is given by the Divinity School (if your interests are perhaps less comparative and more traditional in discipline). If I'm not mistaken, the ThD requires an MDiv degree (not required for the PhD) but the ThD has a larger stipend (so that extra year of pastoral care and homiletic WILL actually make you money after all :D ). I decided the ThD was a better fit for my interests (more of a single discipline= Christian theology) but the PhD would certainly be better if your interests are more comparative, or if you lack the MDiv degree.

SO helpful--thank you! In emailing my professors to seek advice regarding my list of schools as well as ask for recommendations, one of them suggested I look into the ThD at Harvard and Duke. It does make more sense to me since I'm not all that interested in the comparative element but I was worried that in a job market, a ThD might be looked down upon. Plus, I see that you can apply for both at Harvard and not be penalized, which is great.

Thanks for the tips!

How are your applications going thus far? Looks like I'm going to try the GRE once more in November. Argh.

I was trying to finish up applications by the end of summer...ask me how that worked out. I've stalled on most of my online apps because I am also retaking the GRE in a few weeks. The only tricky thing about applying to both the PhD and ThD is the statement of purpose...I can't remember if they want two separate SoPs or just one research proposal that could work equally well in either program. In any case, best of luck!

• 4 months later...
FYI, you don't need an MDiv to apply to the ThD. I know, cause I'm in the ThD, and I don't have one. However, some kind of master's training would be highly desirable.

Good point blurb, I checked the website and they left an important exception for the non-divine :wink: :

In addition, a master's degree, normally the master of divinity, is required; this degree should include a wide range of work in theological and religious studies.