UBC Operations Research

alex.aku

Hello everyone,

I've been looking at schools to apply for this year (graduating in summer 2012) and UBC OR, judging by the limited information I could find online, looks appealing.

What I couldn't find is any forum discussions that talk about the quality of the program. Has anyone here got in and likes to share their experience?

Also, does anyone know of similar OR programs (that offer both math rigor and business knowledge)? How well known is UBC outside of Canada?

Thanks,

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I've been looking at schools to apply for this year (graduating in summer 2012) and UBC OR, judging by the limited information I could find online, looks appealing.

What I couldn't find is any forum discussions that talk about the quality of the program. Has anyone here got in and likes to share their experience?

Also, does anyone know of similar OR programs (that offer both math rigor and business knowledge)? How well known is UBC outside of Canada?

Thanks,

Alex

Are you looking at the MM in OR program or the Ph.D. program? The MM in OR program is more of a professional degree while the Ph.D. is research oriented. In terms of quality, the number of faculty speaks for itself (obviously far from GaTech or MIT) but I think it's still a decent size. My experience with UBC is that it has a very good reputation with employers, and the pacific northwest offers quite a few employment opportunities. I can't really speak for the OR department specifically as I'm a student in the CS department working for a professor in OR, but based on what I've seen, I feel that if you can't get into one of the top OR programs (e.g., MIT, GaTech, Stanford), it's not a bad alternative.