Bikes

fumblewhat

Unless you're planning to take your bike regularly on public transit or something, why a folding bike? Seems like a hybrid would be a better choice...a little more rugged and comfortable than a road bike, but will be much nicer to ride on those longer trips than a folding bike.

I drive a Mini, so the folding bike would fit much, much better in my car. Also, I want to take into my office, rather than leave it on a rack, where it has a higher chance of being stolen. I understand the concern about getting a folding bike with no public transportation, but it just fits much better in my lifestyle and overall needs.

BTW, just to clarify, what do you mean by hybrid?

Edited by hejduk

My friend drives a mini and rides a full-size road bike; you have two options: remove the front wheel (incredibly easy on any modern bike) and stick it in the back, or get a cheap bike rack (or sport rack if you fancy, huh) for your car.

Hybrid: pretty much a beefier frame with better suspension, road wheels/tires (skinny, non-studded) bikes that are an-between the very rugged mountain bike and the very fast/efficient road bike.

I meant that I think the Tern bicycles will be better quality bikes than the Dahons for around the same price, not that Dahon will change its prices (that would be nice!). That's based on rumor and speculation at the moment, but judging from what's been released the Terns *look* better. Those bikes will hit the market in September, supposedly.

Think I found a competitor to the Dahon Vitesse. Check out this Dynamic Sidekick 8: http://www.dynamicbicycles.com/bicycles/sidekick8.php. Internal hub 8-speed, fenders, 30-lb rated rack, etc.

I'm going to echo the "join a bike co-op" sentiment. I'm a member of my local bike co-op and built myself a road bike for a total cost of about 60 dollars, and its by far the best bike i've ever owned in terms of smoothness of the ride. Another great reason to build your own bike is the fact that if anything breaks down, you've had the experience of putting it together and minor repairs become trivial tasks.