really dumb questions about the GRE

spctle342

I'm embarking upon GRE preparation and will be registering to take the revised version in August, because I don't feel I have enough time to prepare for the old test. (Technically, plenty of time exists between now and the end of July, but the majority of that time is already heavily accounted for).

Now, for the dumb questions

1) Can you step outside and smoke during your break? My guess was no, but I distinctly recall being allowed a smoke break while taking the ACT, so I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

2) If you request disability accommodations, is that information communicated in any way to the graduate programs when your scores are sent? My guess is no, but I'm reluctant to request accommodations if it could appear as though I were trying to "cheat" my way to a better score.

I'm embarking upon GRE preparation and will be registering to take the revised version in August, because I don't feel I have enough time to prepare for the old test. (Technically, plenty of time exists between now and the end of July, but the majority of that time is already heavily accounted for).

Now, for the dumb questions

1) Can you step outside and smoke during your break? My guess was no, but I distinctly recall being allowed a smoke break while taking the ACT, so I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

2) If you request disability accommodations, is that information communicated in any way to the graduate programs when your scores are sent? My guess is no, but I'm reluctant to request accommodations if it could appear as though I were trying to "cheat" my way to a better score.

The bigger issue is whether smoking outside (ie in a public place) is permitted in the country in which you are taking the test.

The bigger issue is whether smoking outside (ie in a public place) is permitted in the country in which you are taking the test.

Well... I'm talking outdoors in America, so... yes? I guess I wasn't sure if during the ten minute break, test-takers are allowed to step outside the building (as they can with the ACT) or if they must remain inside. The GRE policies are pretty vague and discuss being in the vicinity, which could be a great number of things. Perhaps it depends upon the particular site and test supervisor? I'm not going to die if I can't smoke, but if I can, I certainly will!