Scholarships with Summer Deadlines?

runscottie

So I have recently been accepted into an expensive Masters program that offers no funding, as funding is reserved exclusively for PhD students. The thing is, I had applied exclusively to PhD programs, expecting either to get in or not get in. I had no plan in the event that I get rejected to a PhD but accepted to the Masters!

Because I had limited time and resources, I had only applied to scholarships only to the PhD programs without automatically secured funding, and of course I did not get in to those schools. The school that I got into for the Masters also had a very late notice date, early April. As a result, I have been accepted unexpectedly (but fortunately!) to a Masters program and most of the scholarships I would have applied for had I known have already expired, most of them in February or March.

I am wondering if anyone is aware of any scholarships with late May or summer deadlines that I would still be eligible to apply for, as a Graduate student. Or should I just resign myself to taking out massive loans? Any help is appreciated!

So I have recently been accepted into an expensive Masters program that offers no funding, as funding is reserved exclusively for PhD students. The thing is, I had applied exclusively to PhD programs, expecting either to get in or not get in. I had no plan in the event that I get rejected to a PhD but accepted to the Masters!

Because I had limited time and resources, I had only applied to scholarships only to the PhD programs without automatically secured funding, and of course I did not get in to those schools. The school that I got into for the Masters also had a very late notice date, early April. As a result, I have been accepted unexpectedly (but fortunately!) to a Masters program and most of the scholarships I would have applied for had I known have already expired, most of them in February or March.

I am wondering if anyone is aware of any scholarships with late May or summer deadlines that I would still be eligible to apply for, as a Graduate student. Or should I just resign myself to taking out massive loans? Any help is appreciated!

You need to contact your university for the most appropriate information. Funding can sometimes be area specific. Different fields have different funding opportunities.It's really hard to answer your question without more information.

Edited by husky

I don't know about any scholarships off the top of my head—but one suggestion I have for you is to inquire with the department to see if they'd consider deferring your acceptance one year. I have a friend in art who did this so that she could spend the year applying to scholarships with fall/winter deadlines in an effort to fund her M.S. in textiles.

paying for the masters yourself is not good, especially in a social science discipline like anthropology. you'll never recoup the costs.

i'd also recommend asking for a deferral of admission while you look for fellowships in the coming year. i'd also recommend asking the director of grad studies at the department what the likelihood of securing a TAship for your MA would be. TA slots can open up as other students already in the program either secure fellowships themselves or leave the program before they're finished.