Writing my final research paper

I've never had to write a paper with a table of contents, so I am a little confused by it. Since the abstract comes first, followed by the table of contents, I assume I put the abstract in the table of contents. What has me confused is whether I'm supposed to include the table of contents. stupid question, I know, but I just don't want to mess this up!

Also, if anyone knows how to make word label some pages with small roman numerals and some with regular numbers, I'd love to know!

I use APA style and no the table of contents does not list the abstract. But, check your style guide.

You can use roman numerals, numbers, etc.. by doing a section break and each section should act independently. Use the page number feature in the header. Just google it for specific instructions. I sometimes have trouble, so I do them separately in Word, then save them all as PDF's and add all the PDF files together to make 1 pdf will all pages included. Sometimes this is just easier than wasting a ton of time trying to get page numbering to cooperate when you just cant figure it out.

Heh, the table of contents was one of the hardest parts of my MA thesis! Getting the formatting right was a bitch. I know there are ways to do it automatically but I couldn't get them to work properly. Anyway, my contents included both the abstract and the table of contents, as well as acknowledgements, but these should all be in a separate section to the body itself. So, indicate this with roman numerals, then page 1 should be the first page of the paper itself.

haha, I did finally just decide to do it one way, did it that way, and sent it out. no one said anything, so I guess I'm okay!!

Thanks for the advice on changing from roman numerals to arabic ones, too. I couldn't even find that searching in the help section for word.