MIT

Hey folks,

Anyone heading to MIT this fall? I'm hoping to seek some apartment hunting advice. I'll be in Cambridge next week and am hoping to find housing for a 2 bedroom (since I don't think I'll be able to do a PhD living alone); let me know if you'd be interested. I would imagine moving in mid-August is the best option, but I hear its difficult to move in mid-month. On-campus grad housing sounds very dorm-ish and I don't think I'd want to live that way anymore. Any suggestions? Feel free to chime in even if you're not replying to this message. I'd like to hear more from folks also heading to MIT this fall.

Hey folks,

Anyone heading to MIT this fall? I'm hoping to seek some apartment hunting advice. I'll be in Cambridge next week and am hoping to find housing for a 2 bedroom (since I don't think I'll be able to do a PhD living alone); let me know if you'd be interested. I would imagine moving in mid-August is the best option, but I hear its difficult to move in mid-month. On-campus grad housing sounds very dorm-ish and I don't think I'd want to live that way anymore. Any suggestions? Feel free to chime in even if you're not replying to this message. I'd like to hear more from folks also heading to MIT this fall.

Heyo! I'll also be starting a Ph.D. at MIT in fall. I decided to enter the lottery for on-campus housing, mainly for convenience. I'm moving cross-country, and I really don't want to go and apartment hunt now. I've lived with my folks throughout college, and commuted to school, so I'm actually looking forward to living on-campus.

The Institute apartments didn't seem too dormlike to me--everyone has their own bedroom (for most buildings), and it doesn't look like there would be any frat party-like gatherings in the apartments (but I'm familiar with neither frat parties nor dorms, so I'm just speculating). What aspects of the MIT apartments reminded you of dorms?

P.S. I'm a "regular" here, but I'm posting under another username for the sake of anonymity.

I guess I say this since I lived in the dorms for the first 2 years of my undergrad. The hallways in the on-campus housing reminded me of the dorms; except they are full-fledged apartments with a kitchen and private bathroom. I won't be in Boston until late next week, so the first pass of on-campus grad housing allocation would be done by then. Not sure if I should wait until I check out a few off-campus options.

Heyo! I'll also be starting a Ph.D. at MIT in fall. I decided to enter the lottery for on-campus housing, mainly for convenience. I'm moving cross-country, and I really don't want to go and apartment hunt now. I've lived with my folks throughout college, and commuted to school, so I'm actually looking forward to living on-campus.

The Institute apartments didn't seem too dormlike to me--everyone has their own bedroom (for most buildings), and it doesn't look like there would be any frat party-like gatherings in the apartments (but I'm familiar with neither frat parties nor dorms, so I'm just speculating). What aspects of the MIT apartments reminded you of dorms?

P.S. I'm a "regular" here, but I'm posting under another username for the sake of anonymity.

Hey I am an incoming PhD student as well. I am entering the lottery and hope to get my own 1 bedroom, even though it will cost me a small fortune. I have a fiance so when he comes to visit I'd rather not have roommates, and I like my "me" time anyways. But I'm trying to stay on campus because I want to be able to meet people fast and the residences do all sorts of fun events. I have a friend who lives in Ashdown and she loves it, so I'll probably do this my first year and then once I'm there and have made some friends I'll look for off campus housing with roommates my 2nd year. What program are you in?

Aero/astro in the space propulsion lab. I keep changing my mind about the 1 bedroom versus having roommates! Ah I don't want to part with that extra $500 a month

• 1 year later...

I am a pass out of National Institute of Technology, Srinagar, India... i was thinking of going for MS or preferably an MS, PhD in structural engineering in 2013 fall session.. i was a gold medalist (civil engineering) - 2011 pass out, with a good CGPA of 9.603.. plus i have a symposium pub in the earthquake engineering field as well..also, i m hoping of two more papers to get published this september.. i m currently working in the structural erection dept. of National Thermal Power Corporation, Ltd., at nagpur, India, at a super thermal power plant... and by the time i shall join the MS course, i.e. in august 2013, i shall be having a field experience of around 2 years. . . does the field experience really count?

my LORs would not be from IIT professors but from the professors of my college.. will that be enough?

what areas should i be targeting right now so as to ensure admission in a good university, preferably with a reasonable scholarship..

I am appearing for GRE in this october how far does GRE matter and whats the minimum required i should be aiming at?

regards..

Ahmad Wani,

structural erection dept.

NTPC Ltd,

Nagpur, INDIA.

mobile: +91-8275787368