Looking for an Engineering Graduate School

uclagraduate

I am currently an Undergrad at UCLA School of Engineering and will be graduating with a CS&E bachelors and Accounting Minor. I currently have a 3.5 (exactly) and plan to apply to graduate school.

I wanted to know my chances of applying to schools such as Stanford, and other top engineering schools, and what schools I should be applying to.

I want to join a program that has some business aspect to it (the Stanford Managerial Science and Engineering program is ideal for me) and some engineering aspect.

As I stated, I currently have a 3.5, one good letter of rec (from research) from a MIT/Stanford graduate professor, an on campus job, and I will have an internship with a fortune 500 company this summer. For the other two letters of rec, I would find another professor and look for someone in the internship i have this summer.

Any recommendations? thank you.

I am currently an Undergrad at UCLA School of Engineering and will be graduating with a CS&E bachelors and Accounting Minor. I currently have a 3.5 (exactly) and plan to apply to graduate school.

I wanted to know my chances of applying to schools such as Stanford, and other top engineering schools, and what schools I should be applying to.

I want to join a program that has some business aspect to it (the Stanford Managerial Science and Engineering program is ideal for me) and some engineering aspect.

As I stated, I currently have a 3.5, one good letter of rec (from research) from a MIT/Stanford graduate professor, an on campus job, and I will have an internship with a fortune 500 company this summer. For the other two letters of rec, I would find another professor and look for someone in the internship i have this summer.

Although i hate to ask this, are you a US Citizen or an international student? Thats arguably one of the biggest decision makers right there. You said graduate school, for what an MS or a PhD? How are your GRE scores?

many different factors to consider, but i'll be more than happy to help you out. You have a similiar background and interest as myself with the business twist to it.

Although i hate to ask this, are you a US Citizen or an international student? Thats arguably one of the biggest decision makers right there. You said graduate school, for what an MS or a PhD? How are your GRE scores?

many different factors to consider, but i'll be more than happy to help you out. You have a similiar background and interest as myself with the business twist to it.

thank you so much for your reply. I want to do a dual degree at Stanford (MS in MS&E and another tech related MS degree such as cs or ee). I am a US citizen.

i have not yet taken my GREs, but plan to under the new revised test after this summer. are you currently a graduate student studying business/tech?

On 5/8/2011 at 2:27 AM, uclagraduate said:

thank you so much for your reply. I want to do a dual degree at Stanford (MS in MS&E and another tech related MS degree such as cs or ee). I am a US citizen.

i have not yet taken my GREs, but plan to under the new revised test after this summer. are you currently a graduate student studying business/tech?

If your a US Citizen you will have great chances of being accepted, use this to your advantage. I saw the degree over at Stanford, that is an incredible degree especially if you do a dual degree. I was accepted into the MS program for EE at UMich, Ohio state, NYU, and was accepted into UIowa into their PhD EE program.

Received a full financial funding fellowship to Iowa and will be going there. They have a decent Business/Entrepreneurship program and will take the elective courses in the business section.

You being at UCLA with a very good GPA, i think you'll have no problem getting into many schools. The problem you need to start thinking/considering is finances, this was my biggest factor. Stanford will not provide you with funding, which was a no-go for me.

On 5/12/2011 at 10:06 AM, hasseye said:

If your a US Citizen you will have great chances of being accepted, use this to your advantage. I saw the degree over at Stanford, that is an incredible degree especially if you do a dual degree. I was accepted into the MS program for EE at UMich, Ohio state, NYU, and was accepted into UIowa into their PhD EE program.

Received a full financial funding fellowship to Iowa and will be going there. They have a decent Business/Entrepreneurship program and will take the elective courses in the business section.

You being at UCLA with a very good GPA, i think you'll have no problem getting into many schools. The problem you need to start thinking/considering is finances, this was my biggest factor. Stanford will not provide you with funding, which was a no-go for me.

Thank you for your help. Did you apply to Stanford also? A PhD at UIowa sounds great, and I hope you excel in that school. Congratulations on receiving the full funding.

Luckily, I have a scholarship that will fund a decent portion of my graduate schooling.

Hey. I went to UCLA too. Do you know about UCLA's ESAP program? THey guarantee master program's admission for their undergrad students whose GPA is above 3.50. I took that advantage and never had to take GRE or ask professors/supervisors for LOR.

BTW, I'd recommend that you take GRE now before the new format. New format will actually be harder in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Your chances of being admitted to a good graduate school of engineering in the US do not look promising. They are not going to take any "C" students from minor-league schools. You'd need to be very highly ranked in your program to be considered for admission to grad school.

Your chances of being admitted to a good graduate school of engineering in the US do not look promising. They are not going to take any "C" students from minor-league schools. You'd need to be very highly ranked in your program to be considered for admission to grad school.

Are you referring to the OP that has a 3.5 GPA from UCLA?

Why don't you let us know what your ugrad GPA was and from which prestigious school?