ford foundation fellowships

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received a GEM fellowship back in February, but I declined it because I received funds through the school and GEM required to damn much!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest another guest

hi, guest.

i was rejected for the javits, and mentioned honorably by the NSF.

god...a ford foundation award would be nice. funding in my department SUCKS.

what field are you in?

Guest guest

it's for 3 years, $19,000/yr and a paid trip to a meeting of the ford fellows. it's aimed at increasing diversity in the professoriate. i believe it's open to students entering or in the early stages of their doctoral program who are in the following groups: black/african-american, puerto rican, mexican-american, native american, and maybe pacific islanders. basically, groups that are not represented well in faculty @ present. i believe it's open to most fields of study. they give out 60 awards.

Guest guest

For those who applied to the Ford Foundation, for your "grad plan" essay, did you do an NSF-esque research proposal and throw in a section on coursework and school resources, or did you do a conventional essay outlining what you were interested in, what classes you would take, and so forth? I did the former, and i'm hoping i won't regret it...

Also, do any of you have any idea how many people typically apply for this? They only give out 60 awards, which doesn't seem like much!

Guest guest
i tried to search for past announcement dates, but i couldn't find any. are notifications made by mail?

"Early April 2006: Notification

of competition results mailed

to all applicants"

I hope this means it will be mailed next week! I'm anxious!!

Guest guest

it's officially early april. since notifications are made via mail, we probably won't all hear back on the same day.

please post here when you do hear back!

Guest guest

I would imagine they would be sending them out very soon, as some people may need to know about the fellowship before they select their grad school.

Guest guest

i received this email in response to an inquiry i sent:

"We anticipate that final decisions will be made later this week. All

applicants will be notified of their final fellowship application status

by postal delivery. Letters are scheduled to be mailed immediately

after final decisions are made."

i wonder why they're *still* making decisions. i wonder if it's in any way related to NSF decisions. probably not, but i'm going to pretend that they care and don't want to give a few non-recipients and honorable mentions a chance. although, i suspect there's also a fair amount of overlap between the two.

Guest guest
i received this email in response to an inquiry i sent:

"We anticipate that final decisions will be made later this week. All

applicants will be notified of their final fellowship application status

by postal delivery. Letters are scheduled to be mailed immediately

after final decisions are made."

i wonder why they're *still* making decisions. i wonder if it's in any way related to NSF decisions. probably not, but i'm going to pretend that they care and don't want to give a few non-recipients and honorable mentions a chance. although, i suspect there's also a fair amount of overlap between the two.

why do they still use the US mail? thats lame. They might just be avoiding overlap with NSF winners. I hope my HM actually helps me now for Ford.

Guest guest

i know! i hope my HM helps me and i also do not understand why they use mail for notifications. e-notices are so much more efficient!

Guest guest

why do they still use the US mail? thats lame. They might just be avoiding overlap with NSF winners. I hope my HM actually helps me now for Ford.

When I first got my HM, I felt good, like this was a good sign for the Ford Foundation. Since then, I've read that women and minorities have greater odds of getting the NSF (like, any given individual, not the group as a whole), so I wonder if my NSF HM wasn't just a product of that. And being a minority female won't give me a boost in the FF competition.

Or maybe I'm just trying to not get my hopes up too high. I think I submitted a strong application.

When I first got my HM, I felt good, like this was a good sign for the Ford Foundation. Since then, I've read that women and minorities have greater odds of getting the NSF (like, any given individual, not the group as a whole), so I wonder if my NSF HM wasn't just a product of that. And being a minority female won't give me a boost in the FF competition.

Or maybe I'm just trying to not get my hopes up too high. I think I submitted a strong application.

I'm applying for FF as an american latino male in sociology. In my travels to 3 of the top programs in sociology, I've only met 2 american latino males at those programs and in the incoming cohorts at all the schools i've gotten into (6 schools) I have only met one other american latino male. Overall, my field is very female, at least the current cohorts. Latino males are just very underrepresented even among minorities, so i'm hoping that will help me out. I, too, got HM from NSF.

Guest guest

I'm applying for FF as an american latino male in sociology. In my travels to 3 of the top programs in sociology, I've only met 2 american latino males at those programs and in the incoming cohorts at all the schools i've gotten into (6 schools) I have only met one other american latino male. Overall, my field is very female, at least the current cohorts. Latino males are just very underrepresented even among minorities, so i'm hoping that will help me out. I, too, got HM from NSF.

hola! i'm in sociology, too. what are your interests within sociology? where are you headed in the fall? i'm a chicana and, while there are certainly more females in the field than males, there certainly isn't an abundance of chicanas in the professoriate. they should give out more FF awards! it's dire, man...

Guest same guest

there is one latino male in my current program, but he's not american (he's from puerto rico). there is one other chicana. albeit, my program is small, but i think that latinos are more underrepresented than other underrepresented groups (if that makes sense).