NSF GRFP

timuralp

I looked at the list of schools that get awarded the NSF grant in EE and I don't think my current school is on the same level {I'm a second year grad student first time applying} so I'm being realistic. I mainly applied to practice writing proposals. I'd be happy with an honorable mention, but won't be shocked about not getting anything.

what list are you referring to? do you mind posting a link? thanks!

btw, do you think nsf is taking more time because they got some extra money and decided to award a few more people? (im being VERY optimistic lol)

i have a strong feeling with all these "glitches" today that tomorrow (Friday) will be the day ....

well, I'm glad lab work took my mind off of this waiting game for most of the day...now, back to thinking about it. so were those people who said they were notified last night lying? My friend said everyone is notified at the same time, but I know a lot of people here keep saying that they did not get notified in previous years until after the list had already been posted. Ay caramba.

If you go to that website, then log in, and then click on

accept_award_step_1.jsp 0.3 kb Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:16:06 GMT

what do you guys get? if you click i accept the award do you then get

Your request could not be completed due to the following reasons:

* You don't have the appropriate permissions to access this module. Please contact the GRFP Administrator regarding your access rights.

If you go to that website, then log in, and then click on

accept_award_step_1.jsp 0.3 kb Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:16:06 GMT

what do you guys get? if you click i accept the award do you then get

Your request could not be completed due to the following reasons:

* You don't have the appropriate permissions to access this module. Please contact the GRFP Administrator regarding your access rights.

i actually wouldn't try this but that's just me... i wouldn't want to eff up the system too much or inadvertently accept stuff.

haha, i would do that too! but i wouldn't do the first part.

also, we're in the same field (neuro?), cool :)

haha yeah I agree. I saw that link mentioned above and was really hesitant to click it. Part of the reason for posting it here was to see if other people would do it and to see what sort of messages they got. And, yes, neuro here too!

Didn't a lot of kids who were applying to Harvard a couple of years ago get denied admission because they hacked into to see their results early? Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit questionable to try to log in to find out early?

what list are you referring to? do you mind posting a link? thanks!

You can go to 2008 which was removed, or the 2007 list and sort by major. Looks like 70% of the awards went to 7 different schools. 8)

how do you know this?

it says so on the website when you check you app status.

2009 Application Package Status for [blargh]

Status will be updated daily after 2AM.

of course i'm not for sure; i was just suggesting it might be a possibility.

do you mean grad or undergrad schools?

I sorted it by where the engineers were going for graduate school. I figured since my graduate institution isn't MIT or one of the big ones where most of the awards have been going my chances are fairly low.

I sorted it by where the engineers were going for graduate school. I figured since my graduate institution isn't MIT or one of the big ones where most of the awards have been going my chances are fairly low.

That's just the place people selected as their desired graduate institution when they filled out the application, not the school they necessarily ended up at. Neither of the two people I know that did well last year (one winner, one HM) got accepted to their desired school.

EDIT: Looking back to 2007, one of the grad students at Michigan I know had MIT listed as his graduate institution.

That's just the place people selected as their desired graduate institution when they filled out the application, not the school they necessarily ended up at. Neither of the two people I know that did well last year (one winner, one HM) got accepted to their desired school.

EDIT: Looking back to 2007, one of the grad students at Michigan I know had MIT listed as his graduate institution.

Granted, but I'd also assume when the judges are looking at your application they take note of the school you are trying to get into, or see that your research plan you wrote about is focused at a school such as MIT and that can impact their judging. I may be totally off base though.

i really hope this isn't true....this would completely defeat the objective of the awards

Granted, but I'd also assume when the judges are looking at your application they take note of the school you are trying to get into, or see that your research plan you wrote about is focused at a school such as MIT and that can impact their judging. I may be totally off base though.

It only matters if you choose a school that's completely inappropriate for what you want to do. Otherwise, why would it affect their judging at all? Do you really think picking MIT as opposed to Harvard is going to have any weight relative to GPA, GREs, course load, research experience, publications, multiple recommendation letters, strength/impact of research proposal, etc?

I believe that putting down intended enrollment of MIT over a school like Montana or something would definately have an impact, everything esle considered (No offense to Montana). If you had to similar candidates I'm sure it'd have an effect.

Re-read the first sentence of my last post.

That still does nothing to give any credence whatsoever to your claim that you have a low chance of winning purely because you didn't choose MIT as your desired graduate program.