NSF GRFP

timuralp

also, and i know this isn't a new thing, why aren't 2008 applicants up anymore?

?? I have been wondering the same. Would it not be funny if NSF accidently sent all of the awards out to last years awardees again instead of this years? As I am very familiar with the government, this would not suprise me at all.

also, and i know this isn't a new thing, why aren't 2008 applicants up anymore?

It really could be anything, but my guess is that it's an artifact of the web coding. For instance, some active web code calls for querying a single variable in a table of preset "Constants" and that could have already been moved over to 2009 for certain uploads to be done, and that is affecting the fact that 2008 is still the latest iteration of results they have available. There are many ways to code functions in a web language, and this would just be a little side-effect of the way they decided to code it.

Yay! Being from a "bumble" state where people think science = evolution = the devil will pay off for once...

So do they look at the state or the zip code? States are heterogeneous, and I am from a bumble---- zip code/region in a fairly educated state. I'm just saying...

So do they look at the state or the zip code? States are heterogeneous, and I am from a bumble---- zip code/region in a fairly educated state. I'm just saying...

I was under the impression that it was by state, but I think you did have to put the city corresponding to your high school.

If you guys remember from earlier on the thread, they make three piles of applications: Fellows, further consideration, and rejection. From talking to people that have reviewed, the state of your high school only comes into play if you are in the further consideration pile that either gets the award, hm, or rejection. If there are two great applicants being considered for the last award, the person from Montana will get it over the person from California. The likelihood that this will actually happen is probably minimal in practice since there are a lot fewer applicants from N Dakota relative to NY, CA, TX, etc. Based on probabilities, this situation of CA vs ND is not likely to happen. This is the way I understood it from talking to people close to the process.

Is Arkansas the new North Dakota? On a scale where 10 is educated yuppieville and 1 is bumble---k, I would have given it at least a 4. Why no love for Arkansas?

In terms of educational proficiency, last I heard Arkansas was 49, just ahead of Mississippi.

Is Arkansas the new North Dakota? On a scale where 10 is educated yuppieville and 1 is bumble---k, I would have given it at least a 4. Why no love for Arkansas?

It is only by high school location and not by permanent residence or school address.

I'm pretty sure it's by high school location.

If you guys remember from earlier on the thread, they make three piles of applications: Fellows, further consideration, and rejection. From talking to people that have reviewed, the state of your high school only comes into play if you are in the further consideration pile that either gets the award, hm, or rejection. If there are two great applicants being considered for the last award, the person from Montana will get it over the person from California. The likelihood that this will actually happen is probably minimal in practice since there are a lot fewer applicants from N Dakota relative to NY, CA, TX, etc. Based on probabilities, this situation of CA vs ND is not likely to happen. This is the way I understood it from talking to people close to the process.

Yes, of course. If you are up for further consideration, they look at many factors--location is just one of them. My point still holds though.

The public school I attended is in the 27th percentile in the nation, and I'm from Massachusetts. They should base it on family income instead, but what can you do.

They should base it on whoever's name looks exactly like mine, is spelled exactly like mine and lives at my address... :)

At least we will always have thegradcafe. *words of praise for fishfood*

i'm pretty sure they're going to take this place down, and then start mass mailing our department mailing lists to say someone in our department has the list, but they are playing hide-and-seek (and don't like you anyway).

are people still checking their fastlane accounts intermittently? if so, has anything changed? (nothing has changed on mine at this point.)

yes, i just checked mine. nothing here either ...

i hope having publications is not that important...I know someone who got nsf without any publications. whatevs. will know soon enough (god willing).

I know people who got it without pubs, so it is possible. I think that they do want pubs though. Last year my reviewers out right asked about them after I spent half a page discussing how my project NEVER worked!

To those asking about changes to your application page, I have no changes yet.

I have no changes either. As far I can tell, the site hasn't gone down at all. I've check at least one an hour today and have never been blocked from the site. I hope that doesn't mean that I suck. Oh well.

I submitted my official transcripts to NSF on 11/05/2008. However, I noticed a couple months ago on my "Current Application Package Status" page that the date received was updated to 01/05/2009. Perhaps, NSF wanted to view my Fall semester grades? Anyone have something similar?