NSF GRFP

timuralp

I'm one of those poor saps who has been watching this forum for nearly 2 months now, and I finally decided to participate in the madness.

I had no idea that so many graduate students were so ridiculously under-funded! I was lucky enough to get a number of great offers, and my psychology Ph. D stipend at my present institution is slightly above the 30k/year of the NSF (and my institution is not in a high cost-of-living place like NYC), and my funding is guaranteed for 5 years. I only applied for the NSF to hopefully boost my resume.

I just wanted to post to support all of the limboers that need this fellowship to continue their studies. I believe that great research is immensely important, and many of you seem to be the exact types of people we need as researchers. I will be disappointed if I am not given a fellowship, but it will make me feel a lot better if I come on and see people like Higgins got the fellowship. I want the award, but some of you guys need the award. I really hope you guys get it.

Man, it sounds like I might get lynched if I mention my financial situation...

No you won't! Look, there are a myriad of different fields, disciplines, schools, and situations. Some of us have it better than others, some fields are more highly funded, and sometimes it's the luck of the draw. Anyone who is still in limbo here has done an excellent job with their application, has research that the NSF is considering funding, and what we already have doesn't mean anything in the determination. We all know that. It's not like any of us sat down one day and thought "gee, I think I'll major in something that will bring me a huge stipend." We are all, every one of us, doing something that lights our intellect on fire, something we think will make a contribution. We will all survive grad school, one way or another. Kudos to you if your funding is top shelf!

Wow this board took off today and over the weekend. Good luck all and thanks for the condolence messages from a few pages ago. I'm going to get back to working in lab I've been surprisingly productive today. By the way, Go Penguins!!

Wow this board took off today and over the weekend. Good luck all and thanks for the condolence messages from a few pages ago. I'm going to get back to working in lab I've been surprisingly productive today. By the way, Go Penguins!!

In a different conference, Go Hawks!

http://www.sporcle.com for those needing mentally stimulating diversions. This may be particularly nice tonight as we sit here from 11-2AM, waiting to realize that nothing is happening tonight.

LOL ... I am watching reruns of Dollhouse on Hulu while I wait to realize that nothing is happening tonight.

Trying to logon to the rating sheets (or requesting a lost password) goes to a 404 now, rather than going to "Access to rating sheets is now closed".

At the very least, it means that they are working on stuff!

Trying to logon to the rating sheets (or requesting a lost password) goes to a 404 now, rather than going to "Access to rating sheets is now closed".

At the very least, it means that they are working on stuff!

never thought I'd enjoy hearing about a 404 error .... but I do.

In a different conference, Go Hawks!

LOL of course. Anyone but the Red Wings. Though I do laugh at the possibility of this year's Stanley Cup having the same exact teams as last year's did. That being said, I'd rather see the Hawks in it.

Go Pens and Hawks! :D

Hawks aren't going to have a chance if the Wings can keep Toews and Kane silent like they did in game 1.

Pens vs 'Canes is a go.

They can't keep Kane penned up forever. That kid rocks.