NSF GRFP

timuralp

I called up mit eecs grad admissions and my request actually moved up the chain 3 times. It was funny. The first lady said they don't change the decision once its made, then she asked me what fellowship and I said ndseg and she said hold on let me talk to my boss. Same thing happened with the next lady, finally the third person said no.

I e-mailed the professor there who had asked a professor of mine about me and has similar research interests to my own. She didn't respond to my e-mail in the past so I won't be shocked if she doesn't again.

Doesn't look like the NSF decisions are coming today.

I talked to someone today about something similar, and they said that every university accepted them post winning the NSF including Harvard and other schools (when they had previously been rejections) except MIT.

I talked to someone today about something similar, and they said that every university accepted them post winning the NSF including Harvard and other schools (when they had previously been rejections) except MIT.

Great, the one school I'm still waiting on...

I called up mit eecs grad admissions and my request actually moved up the chain 3 times. It was funny. The first lady said they don't change the decision once its made, then she asked me what fellowship and I said ndseg and she said hold on let me talk to my boss. Same thing happened with the next lady, finally the third person said no.

I e-mailed the professor there who had asked a professor of mine about me and has similar research interests to my own. She didn't respond to my e-mail in the past so I won't be shocked if she doesn't again.

Hi finest,

Sorry to hear they didn't change their minds! It sounds like you got a secretary or something who didn't know what they were talking about. I think you did the right thing e-mailing the professor too because they have a lot more leverage. I would keep trying with other schools if MIT fails...really, I think the fellowship will make a difference! It kinda sucks to put yourself out on a limb like this, but there's a lot to be gained if you are interested in those departments.

We're all rooting for you! :)

Gah!!! To make things worse my university sent an email with NSF in the title (i.e. workshop for next year) and I thought the results were finally here. Torture!

Yeah, I got a departmental email congratulating someone on getting a prestigious 3-year fellowship from NSF (not the GRFP). My heart stopped momentarily and I thought it was all over.

i do know someone who got an nsf with a relatively low gpa. last year i got HM and i only have a 3.0 gpa (although from a school with low grade inflation) it really depends on your potential to be a good scientist i think. which can often be demonstrated by publications, good references, a solid reserach proposal, etc.

i do know someone who got an nsf with a relatively low gpa. last year i got HM and i only have a 3.0 gpa (although from a school with low grade inflation) it really depends on your potential to be a good scientist i think. which can often be demonstrated by publications, good references, a solid reserach proposal, etc.

agree

now the fastlane website doesnt have the list of 2008 award winners either for me -

"2008 Offered Award List

* The list of Awardees and Honorable Mention recipients for the year you have selected is not yet available."

just an update.

now the fastlane website doesnt have the list of 2008 award winners either for me -

"2008 Offered Award List

* The list of Awardees and Honorable Mention recipients for the year you have selected is not yet available."

just an update.

You are a few hours late on that one ;-)

Sometimes I think there is just no rhyme or reason. I had a high gpa, high gre scores, excellent references, a solid proposal (I think, as did my advisor) and a paper. I got rejected twice now. Not to be a poor sport, or rain on anyone's parade, I'm sure there is a huge amount of luck involved.

You are a few hours late on that one ;-)

oh gotcha. i dont come on here for half a day and the number of posts have doubled to 30 pages. ridiculous! this is way more than last year's page count. glad this forum is on the ball :D

Sometimes I think there is just no rhyme or reason. I had a high gpa, high gre scores, excellent references, a solid proposal (I think, as did my advisor) and a paper. I got rejected twice now. Not to be a poor sport, or rain on anyone's parade, I'm sure there is a huge amount of luck involved.

did your reviews explain why you didn't win?

did your reviews explain why you didn't win?

I didn't get to read them in time before the system shut down. However, last year my reviews said "excellent proposal, in fact, all the essays were excellent" and yet got "very good" marks. I was like wtf do you want then? I just don't get it. I'm interested to see what they say this time, but I'm sort of over it.

I didn't get to read them in time before the system shut down. However, last year my reviews said "excellent proposal, in fact, all the essays were excellent" and yet got "very good" marks. I was like wtf do you want then? I just don't get it. I'm interested to see what they say this time, but I'm sort of over it.

they seriously didn't provide any criticisms for you last year?

Just to kill time while waiting for my western blot, I looked at the source code for the page we all get once we log in through fastlane. (I mean in IE: View: Source) Near the bottom is the source for our biographical information that is displayed in the right hand pane, ie, what we see as "Applicant Data". In the source code, you can see all your information, such as address, email, name etc. At the end of that source section, does it say for you "" or "", or something different? Just curious, I am already in a program, so I am relieved of the time constraints of finding out my status, though I sympathesize....

they seriously didn't provide any criticisms for you last year?

No. It was the same for other people I know. One received an HM and her reviews were all good and she didn't know what to improve on for this year's application.

Just to kill time while waiting for my western blot, I looked at the source code for the page we all get once we log in through fastlane. (I mean in IE: View: Source) Near the bottom is the source for our biographical information that is displayed in the right hand pane, ie, what we see as "Applicant Data". In the source code, you can see all your information, such as address, email, name etc. At the end of that source section, does it say for you "" or "", or something different? Just curious, I am already in a program, so I am relieved of the time constraints of finding out my status, though I sympathesize....

mine reads "", but I assume it does for everyone