NSF GRFP

timuralp

Unfortunately, the GRF is that short of fellowship, because the terms stipulate that you can't have outside jobs or internships (even if they're unpaid!) because they supposedly take attention away from your research. I think they more or less see the 30k/year as the purchase price of your brain, which they then own, and can direct towards research. I'm (partly) kidding...

With the GRF you can apply for short-term work exceptions (such as summer teaching), and usually get them. Also, they let me finish out the contract of a consulting job that ran a few months into my fellowship tenure. But I doubt they'd approve a full-time summer internship, unless you could make the case that it would directly stimulate your research. Also, they don't dock my pay if I win other awards, so that's one upside.

I thought the GRF was 30k/year, prorated for 9 months if you chose to do something non-academic with your summer.. am I reading this wrong?

The Graduate Research Fellowship stipend currently is $30,000 for a 12-month tenure period, prorated monthly at $2,500 for

shorter periods as approved by NSF.

but then there's this..

9. Can I work while holding the NSF GRFP fellowship?

If the employment is short-term and is directly related to your graduate research program, NSF may grant permission on a case by case basis. Contact your institutional Coordinating Official (CO) for details.

Hmm.. I mean, I don't want to do anything that's too far away from what I'm studying, but this does seem limiting. Any current fellows with experience getting summer work exceptions here?

Yeah, it is something of a raw deal. The reason I keep it is there are some perks, all my conference fees are paid and I can, with considerable paperwork, get educational extras like laptops and software.

I'm working on a grant proposal now with my adviser, if we get it, then I'll switch to getting paid from it instead (I'm hoping to make it pay the same as the GRF.) If I got GRFP and we got this grant... I wouldn't keep the cash, I'd hire another student to help with the research.

I found another paper:

"1. The primary determinant of winning a GRF are academic skills, which greatly impact panel ratings of applicants. Consistent with efforts to increase S&E diversity, women and minorities have higher changes of winning an award than white men with similar attributes. " (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=807612#)

Would explain how I got HM while my friend got the GRFP when we were both in the same percentile :P

[it could also be that they didn't want to give it to two people in the same lab, that would be kind of awful though...]

I looked briefly for a few more, but I didn't run across many specifically for the GRFP. There are a few others about other types of funding in general. It would be interesting to see a bibliometric study, to see if NSF fellows had higher citations.

Have people here (especially engineering students) asked for deferments after being accepted to a grad school? Do schools usually grant them? Would it make a difference if you had a GRFP? Can you defer the GRFP for a year to say travel or volunteer? Answers to any of these would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Have people here (especially engineering students) asked for deferments after being accepted to a grad school? Do schools usually grant them? Would it make a difference if you had a GRFP? Can you defer the GRFP for a year to say travel or volunteer? Answers to any of these would be appreciated.

Thanks!

No, you can only defer the GRFP if you are in school and receiving funding from another source, such as, say NDSEG.

No, you can only defer the GRFP if you are in school and receiving funding from another source, such as, say NDSEG.

Most bioscience programs give you funding for your first 1-2yrs (off of NIH grants for the graduate program). Can you defer NSF for 1-2yrs to use the program funding and then just use NSF when your PI is expected to start paying? Does anyone know the answer to this?

So - I'm an engineering student and I successfully deferred for 1 year after being accepted to my school (heading out there this fall). Every school is different, and mine actually states that their policy is not to permit 1 year deferrals. I guess the moral of the story is (1) check with your department for their policy, (2) have a good reason to defer, (3) make sure you state your case well. I doubt external funding/fellowships has any bearing on the decision.

Bad news, kids.

I just spoke with one of the NSF call center managers on the phone. Here's what I found out:

Q1: "I was wondering whether the NSF has set a more specific date than "early April" for announcing the NSF GRFP awards? It seems that students are frequently being told "soon," or "by the end of X week," and we still have nothing to show for it."

A1: "No, the NSF has not set a specific date. Traditionally results are announced no earlier than the middle of April This year will be no different."

Q2: "Actually, ma'am, in past years results were announced by the end of March or very early in April."

A2: "Be that as it may, there are no specific dates. We hope to have results up as soon as possible."

Q3: "Could you please give me a specific reason for this delay?"

A3: "Unfortunately, no. We at the NSF GRF line are hired by the NSF to take calls related to the GRF. We do not know the reason for the delay."

Q4: "According to various sources, you have given several different reasons for the delay, ranging from 'more awards this year' to 'it's complicated.'"

A4: "The NSF has given us several reasons to cite for the delay including (1) an award/honorable mention list has not been finalized, (2) the exact number of awards/honorable mentions has changed, (3) complications as a result of budget issues, (4) an unusually high number of applications were received this year. We do not know whether all of these are true or if none of them are."

Q5: "I see. So no one at this line has any actual knowledge of when the awards will be announced or the actual reason for a delay."

A5: "That is correct. You would need to contact the NSF for an answer, and I can guarantee you that no one will speak to you about the GRFP -- we have already received several calls back from applicants who tried. Do you have any further questions?"

No, thanks for your time.

So it seems that calling is pointless after all and we might not be finding out until next week. Yay.

PS: I spoke with a representative named "Jess."

I think you got the canned answers. My BS meter would go off right away with the "no earlier than the middle of April." I think the would negate any truth to any information "obtained" during the conversation.

I don't think people need to be calling all the time, unless they are targeting someone higher up than the call center.

Even that is not likely to produce anything worth the effort.

I'm crazy enough to check and chat on the board, but not crazy enough to call.

Hi, I've been lurking on this forum since page 4. I've registered because I think you are mistaken. Here is an excerpt from the Information for Graduate Research Fellows document. It clearly states that any 2 of the 5 years may be put on reserve if you want to "engage in activities other than graduate study." It also says that the institution you stated on your application will be used as your affiliated institution if you choose to reserve the year after getting the award. So if you haven't even been accepted to a graduate institution and you choose to reserve your first year, they will just use whatever institution you stated in your application as your affiliated institution for their records. When you figure out which graduate school you are going to and are ready to start getting your cash after a year or two of reserve, you notify NSF of your new affiliated institution if it's not the same as the one you put on you application. Sorry if the formatting of the excerpt is ugly. Copied and pasted it from a skinny PDF.

b. Reservation

With prior Foundation approval, Fellows may reserve any

two years over the five-year period to use an alternative means

of support, or to engage in activities other than graduate study.

In either or both of the years that you do not utilize your

award, your fellowship normally will be reserved for your

future use during the permissible five-year period. Any of the

three tenure years not used during the five-year period are

considered forfeited. A portion of a year of tenure cannot

be reserved for later use, except in the case of a medical

deferral or military deferral; thus, any months not utilized

during a year of tenure are forfeited.

All Fellows, including those on reserve, must submit the

Declaration To Utilize, Reserve Or Terminate A Subsequent

Year Of A 3-Year Graduate Fellowship Award, each year as

indicated in section 14a. When returning to active tenure after

a period of reserve, Fellows may change start time from fall to

summer or vice versa. When such a change in start time is

made, NSF must be certain that no Fellow receives more than

36 months of NSF Graduate Fellowship support and that no

Fellow is allowed more than five years from the summer or

fall after the initial fellowship award announcement. Regard-

less, Fellows exercising this option must enter tenure of the

NSF fellowship no later than the fall of the year that their re-

serve status ends.

Since there is no expectation that three years of NSF fel-

lowship support will be sufficient to complete every Fellow

I know (and have spoken with) a grad student who received both in 2006, used the NDSEG for the past three years, and will use the NSF for the next two years (if he doesn't graduate).

Fellows may reserve any

two years over the five-year period to use an alternative means of support

I believe that shows it right there.

i really think all this means is that we are not going to know anything unless

1. the system gets hacked and it gets on this message board or

2. we actually get the results

we are never getting a real answer on when the results are coming out. all of this speculation is pointless. oh well. back to work!

Bad news, kids.

I just spoke with one of the NSF call center managers on the phone. Here's what I found out...

...So it seems that calling is pointless after all and we might not be finding out until next week. Yay.

Hey, imagine that... CALLING DOESN'T HELP. Lesson learned? STOP CALLING AND LET THEM DO THEIR WORK. How many times do I have to explain this? Science requires patience... calling the NSF office everyday just to ask "is it up yet?" is the exact opposite of patience. Knowing the results will be posted on any given day won't change the fact that you won't know the results until that day.

Hey, imagine that... CALLING DOESN'T HELP. Lesson learned? STOP CALLING AND LET THEM DO THEIR WORK. How many times do I have to explain this? Science requires patience... calling the NSF office everyday just to ask "is it up yet?" is the exact opposite of patience. Knowing the results will be posted on any given day won't change the fact that you won't know the results until that day.

I was under the impression that the number that everyone is calling is the phone number to a call center. At most call centers, the employees only responsibility is to talk to people on the phone (believe me I have worked at a few of these). I may be completely missinformed about this phone number. it is a call center, "their work" is answering the phones so all of the callers are not interferring with their productivity. They are promoting productivity. I may be entirely off base here, so feel free to correct me if this phone number is not a classical call center. People should try to be extra nice when they call though, since I am sure these guys are not having fun dealing with angry grad students all day.

Bad news, kids.

I just spoke with one of the NSF call center managers on the phone. Here's what I found out:

Q1: "I was wondering whether the NSF has set a more specific date than "early April" for announcing the NSF GRFP awards? It seems that students are frequently being told "soon," or "by the end of X week," and we still have nothing to show for it."

Q2: "Actually, ma'am, in past years results were announced by the end of March or very early in April."

Q3: "Could you please give me a specific reason for this delay?"

Q4: "According to various sources, you have given several different reasons for the delay, ranging from 'more awards this year' to 'it's complicated.'"

Q5: "I see. So no one at this line has any actual knowledge of when the awards will be announced or the actual reason for a delay."

No, thanks for your time.

So it seems that calling is pointless after all and we might not be finding out until next week. Yay.

PS: I spoke with a representative named "Jess."

Did you actually word your questions like that? Are you really that much of a self-entitled smarmy prick? Pretty disgusting to say the least.

I was under the impression that the number that everyone is calling is the phone number to a call center. At most call centers, the employees only responsibility is to talk to people on the phone (believe me I have worked at a few of these). I may be completely missinformed about this phone number. it is a call center, "their work" is answering the phones so all of the callers are not interferring with their productivity. They are promoting productivity. I may be entirely off base here, so feel free to correct me if this phone number is not a classical call center. People should try to be extra nice when they call though, since I am sure these guys are not having fun dealing with angry grad students all day.

Yes, it is a call center, which is why it is silly to think that by calling we are disturbing their work.

Bad news, kids.

Fie upon thee, for it doth seem that thou hast drank many a cup of meade more than thou shouldst. Be as I may a man of peace, thy prattle hast brought upon thee the fullest power of my scorn! Thy wits doth be like those of Harold of Wiltshire, who did suffer to his head a blow of terrible proportions, upon imbibing a glass of meade more than hadst been seemly. Mine quaterstaff doth beg mine permissions to do upon thee similar justice for thy follies, oh drunkard. Fie upon thee, o ye of little faith!

This thread has over 1000 replies already... wow :lol:

And it almost has >25000 views! I really cant believe that last week I suggested that we try hard to surpass last years' 15page thread before the release! I think we took this goal a little overboard! :D

I know (and have spoken with) a grad student who received both in 2006, used the NDSEG for the past three years, and will use the NSF for the next two years (if he doesn't graduate).

I believe that shows it right there.

Verily, thou speakest words that do bring joy to my heart.

Verily, thou speakest words that do bring joy to my heart.

Friar, I just have to ask: What do you think of our lovely invention of computers/internet? I am suprised that someone from your time period is so willing to use them!

Now back to the thread.......

Did you actually word your questions like that? Are you really that much of a self-entitled smarmy prick? Pretty disgusting to say the least.

Hekog is right. When I've called, I've always been polite, and they have always been helpful. If they aren't able to give any concrete answers, maybe it's because there, well, are none. And if there are, maybe they don't know them. Either way, I highly doubt that being rude will get them to tell you information that they won't tell anyone else, even in the highly unlikely event that they are holding it in, and keeping it from us (which does not benefit anyone).

There would be some poetic justice in learning that for every phone call they got, they delayed the release of the results by an hour. I'm sure that can't be true because we'd never get the results then.

I personally would be a bit afraid to call and harass them... you might get blacklisted... after all I imagine that NSF gets seated alphabetically next to/near NSA alot. (j/k)

Call center or not... it's really pointless to call them. Express your frustration here and hope they can't trace down your IP address... lol

Yes, it is a call center, which is why it is silly to think that by calling we are disturbing their work.

If it really is a call center, then yes, I suppose it is their job to deal with people who call incessantly. But isn't it ridiculous that they have to have a GRFP call center in the first place? Basically, the NSF got so fed up with crazed applicants calling them day after day, that they decided it would be easier to fork out thousands of dollars in cash and benefits to hire people just do deal with you (you know who you are). And for those who are calling, are you satisfied knowing that you are the reason the NSF is paying people to tell you exactly what they've posted online? Wouldn't you rather have that money going towards funding more applicants?