NSF GRFP

timuralp

5 stages of... whatever:

Denial - "I'm sure there's a good reason they're so late this year." "I heard that... " "well I heard this..."

Anger - "Stupid NSF... stringing everyone out on the line like this... those jerks need to get their act together." "hey [other forum user], you're a jerk. shutup"

Bargaining - "Can I modify the code on the webpage to see the results?" "If I promise to send pizza to the call center, will that help?"

Depression - "...this just means I didn't get the award. plain and simple. my app just sucked, therefore, I suck."

Acceptance - "You know what, what happens, happens. I'm going to be a kickass grad student regardless of what the NSF says about my app."

Where are you?

5 stages of... whatever:

Denial - "I'm sure there's a good reason they're so late this year." "I heard that... " "well I heard this..."

Anger - "Stupid NSF... stringing everyone out on the line like this... those jerks need to get their act together." "hey [other forum user], you're a jerk. shutup"

Bargaining - "Can I modify the code on the webpage to see the results?" "If I promise to send pizza to the call center, will that help?"

Depression - "...this just means I didn't get the award. plain and simple. my app just sucked, therefore, I suck."

Acceptance - "You know what, what happens, happens. I'm going to be a kickass grad student regardless of what the NSF says about my app."

Where are you?

acceptance. but also some amount of "i wish they would just post this, but i know when they do i'm going to have to find a real hobby that doesn't include reloading this message board"

5 stages of... whatever:

Where are you?

I'm in Acceptance, but also annoyance... just because it could very well affect where I end up going...

I'm in "depression"... I'm also waiting to hear back from a late interview I went on to my 1st choice school and starting to worry that I could get bad news from both in the same week and that would be pretty tough. I'm trying to tell myself it's good I haven't heard because if he wanted to reject me there's no reason to wait, but I'm not completely convinced. And winning an NSF could turn the game around for me...

In an effort to lighten the mood, I want to let you all know that I emailed PhD comics about how we're all freaking out and how long this post has gotten. I hope they can turn it into a cartoon b/c (lets face it) this is entertaining and (hopefully) something we'll be able to look back and laugh at.

Anyone who is thinking about calling the NSF line, I encourage you to email PhD comics instead.

PS- I'm still holding out for my 10:01am EST tomorrow.

Okay...I am going to convince myself that the results will be posted on Monday...that way, if they are posted earlier, it'll be a completely unexpected surprise! Man, I have gone just crazy! Come on NSF, put us out of this misery of not knowing! :?

In an effort to lighten the mood, I want to let you all know that I emailed PhD comics about how we're all freaking out and how long this post has gotten. I hope they can turn it into a cartoon b/c (lets face it) this is entertaining and (hopefully) something we'll be able to look back and laugh at.

Anyone who is thinking about calling the NSF line, I encourage you to email PhD comics instead . . . .

What an amazing idea. This thread has definitely brought me some great entertainment over the past week and a half. It might be advisable to send some of our favorite posts (and posters) their way to make the job easier. I can think of a few right now... namely, anything posted by the users Friar.Tuck and blackbeard, and the apparent cult following the two have.

Of course the comics that have been posted.

The insulting of the one guy who called in and talked with a call center manager (I think clarifying a lot in the way of the uselessness of calling into a call center-- and for that reason, I salute him).

The veteran who started the NSF GRFP topic last year coming in this year and trying to make us all sane.

The ensuing collapse into persistent chaos that resulted (hey, I'm a dynamicist, I had to say it).

And, of course, the fact that one guy actually got to his review sheets before they should have been posted. Nice one, mathguy14.

NSF support group will be held tomorrow night. Heavy drinking will be done. Discussion topics will include your local rules for Beirut.

Please tell me this will be held over an IRC channel on some obscure departmental server somewhere...

PS- I'm still holding out for my 10:01am EST tomorrow.

wow, if that actually happens that would be great! being on the west coast, that would mean I could find out when I wake up. does anyone know what time of day emails were sent out last year?

wow, if that actually happens that would be great! being on the west coast, that would mean I could find out when I wake up. does anyone know what time of day emails were sent out last year?

Here is the rundown for everything last year (all times eastern):

Day 1: fastlane loggin trick afternoon/early evening- all awardees knew they had it

Day 2: middle of night- hacker got hm list and I found it online at around 7AM

NSF posted all lists online right before 9AM

I believe the old applicants found rating sheets this day (was before the emails)

Day 3: Emails sent out to everyone. I believe it was in the afternoon but I dont remember. We all knew the results so the emails were pointless by that time.

Here is the rundown for everything last year (all times eastern):

Day 1: fastlane loggin trick afternoon/early evening- all awardees knew they had it

Day 2: middle of night- hacker got hm list and I found it online at around 7AM

NSF posted all lists online right before 9AM

I believe the old applicants found rating sheets this day (was before the emails)

Day 3: Emails sent out to everyone. I believe it was in the afternoon but I dont remember. We all knew the results so the emails were pointless by that time.

so then we wouldn't really expect them to post it tomorrow morning, except that maybe we could do the login trick tomorrow at some point...

i feel like i play this mental calculation game every day lately... hmm ....

Holy CRAP, people. I'm one of those people that lurks on here as a guest - last year was my last chance to apply and this message board saved my sanity (got an HM, whee; and hi, cogdiss! Remember the good old days of livejournal links and wondering if they post results by name, deadline, discipline?...ahhh, those were the painful nerve-wracking days...)

Anyway, I last dropped by the website sometime Saturday and thought "huh, 35 pages, this is getting long." Today I heard that my department had just admitted a few people off the waitlist, thought it might have something to do with released NSF results, and headed on over. Now I've just pounded through 38 pages of posted thinking "holy crap, 73 pages. The awards MUST have been released with that kind of page surge!" and getting nothing but "website down!" and youtube links. It startled ME and I'm not even personally invested in this process; I have to imagine that an applicant who only checks in sporadically must shit a brick when they see the page number increase so dramatically and think it has some correlation with news.

So hell, figured I might as well hop in and contribute to the problem.

Someone a few pages back suggested that they use the extra stimulus money to go back and give awards to last year's HMers. As a 2008 HM, is it wrong of me to actually be holding out a miniscule amount of hope that this could be true? Realistically I don't need it - I'm in grad school, I have funding. But at the same time, the siren call of the GRFP is just that strong...

No! Someone else had that time and I "The Price Is Right"ed them. I think the next highest guess was sometime thurs so I get most of Wed (and FYI too late to steal it from me now...lol)

It was me!

You price-is-righted me.

That is why I gotta stick to 10:00am.

I told ya'll it would be on Monday! I'm opening a bottle of wine no matter what the results are. "Wine to go with my whine" probably :x

And what a fantastic idea for PhD comics. This blog almost seems like a parody of reality, and I do feel a bit guilty for giving into the neuroticism.

No! Someone else had that time and I "The Price Is Right"ed them. I think the next highest guess was sometime thurs so I get most of Wed (and FYI too late to steal it from me now...lol)

it was me! 11:26 am ET thursday

so then we wouldn't really expect them to post it tomorrow morning, except that maybe we could do the login trick tomorrow at some point...

i feel like i play this mental calculation game every day lately... hmm ....

Yeah I think it will take at least one day for them to do all of the stuff before the emails. The fastlane trick worked the last two years, so I am hoping that we will see it again. That is why I asked Mathguy14 to check this evening.

After last year and the rating sheets this year, I am skeptical that there will not be another glitch at least one day before the release. I vote Thursday at the earliest for an official release, but I would love to be wrong. Lets hope that the fastlane trick works tomorrow (or for official emails)!

Is it a bad sign that no one's fastlane log in page has changed yet? You'd think if they were to post the winners/honorable mention list soon, some of the letters would have been posted in the log in page beforehand. Unless, NSF was planning on posting letters after announcing the winners. Ugh...I've yet to call and will be patient. But this is really really scary. I really do need this funding. But know my chances are not that great.