LSAT in place of GRE?

coldshoulder

Do any reputable grad schools take LSAT scores as a replacement for the GRE? I've been studying my ass off, testing in the high 170's for the LSAT, and now am thinking I'd rather pursue a PhD. Know any schools that would take a 3.7 and a 173 LSAT instead of a GRE score?

A 173 LSAT (is that what you really got on the actual test?!) is GREAT, and I would think that you could take the GRE and get a similarly awesome score after that, especially the new one (since the vocab prompting would more closely match the LSAT. . .though the quant bit might be offputting). However, it depends on your field, but almost everyone I know who did law school and then went to academia (or at least started) still had to take the GRE. I'd say a 173 LSAT score means you're good at prepping for standardized tests, which measure a lot more how good you are at taking a test than true knowledge of a subject. That said, those GRE scores do often mean higher fellowships, so I'd say prep for the GRE quant section and take the GRE. I really don't think most programs will take the LSAT in place (unless you're doing some kind of law-related program. . .totally different), and you've demonstrated ability with standardized testing formats. It depends on the field, but a high GRE score (like your super high LSAT) can get you more funding, though it will probably be your SOP and/or your writing sample that will get you in (if you're in the humanities). Good luck!

I've seen this question answered in the negative a few times on schools' Admissions FAQ pages. I think you might be out of luck.

The theory behind the GRE (supposedly) is that it gives the admissions commitee a common measure of their candidates' abilities (--whether the abilities it tests are relevant to graduate work is another matter). Since grading practices can very greatly between schools and even between departments, the GRE offers a way to compare candidates on a common factor. (A 3.7 GPA from the University of Chicago may mean somethling completely different than a 3.7 from Party School USA. )

The admissions committee wouldn't be able to use your LSAT score to assess you against other candidates (GRE takers), so I really doubt they'd accept them. There's no harm in asking, of course! Good luck!

(By the way! 173 on the LSAT is the average score for Yale Law students, and high enough to get you a free ride to several top 10 law schools. If you're testing in the high 170s, either you're not timing your practice tests, or you need to go get yourself a free $200,000 education and pronto!! :) )

Edited by fumblewhat

• 5 weeks later...

Do any reputable grad schools take LSAT scores as a replacement for the GRE? I've been studying my ass off, testing in the high 170's for the LSAT, and now am thinking I'd rather pursue a PhD. Know any schools that would take a 3.7 and a 173 LSAT instead of a GRE score?

The area in which you are doing PHD will determine if you can use LSAT instead of GRE.

Edited by FutureWorks2011