keeping it together

spctle342

I'm sure I'll have more profound questions about applications as deadlines near, but for now I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the amount of STUFF that is sure to accummulate in my apartment in the next six months. Most (if not all) of my applications will be completed online, but I'm the sort of person who prefers hard copies of things to intangible electronic versions, so it's likely that I will have printed a million essays, collected brochures and literature from potential schools, not to mention the resumes/CVs, transcripts, application checklists, etc. How do I keep it all organized?

I probably lean toward over-organization, so neurotics feel free to weigh in. I have ADHD, so everything must be color-coded and not tucked away in a drawer (if I can't see it, it doesn't exist--I'm not sure if this is an ADHD thing or just a personal preference, but it's crucial nonetheless). I'm thinking it might be wise to invest in a binder for each of the six schools to which I'm applying and start filling them up with the essentials, making a cover page with the checklist and specific requirements for each...

Does anyone else have any thoughts on what to do/not to do when managing the massive amount of application-related materials? I honestly believe that for me, the application process is going to be the most difficult aspect of graduate school (and I say that with the upmost appreciation for the tremendous amount of work that lies ahead). Thoughts?

I made an online Google Docs spreadsheet to keep track of various schools' online application websites, passwords, deadlines, contact people, email addresses, required documents, fellowships, and so on. Then I got a bunch of plastic clear files - one for each school -- and kept anything I needed to mail in there. I wrote the required contents, deadline and mailing address(es) on each file and I put them in a zip-up plastic pouch to keep them from straying. I also kept a notebook for my SOP writing and To-Do lists, though I used Google Calendar and Tasks for a bit of the latter.

Everyone has their own way of organizing things... But I'd really recommend the Google Docs spreadsheet. It kept all my need-to-know information in one spot, and made it accessible wherever there was internet to be had.

Good luck with your whole process!

I'd definitely second the idea of a Google spreadsheet. I wrote about how I organised my stuff for my applications One thing I would caution about starting as early as you are (and as I did last year), is that some schools have a nasty little habit of changing application procedures (sometimes minor, sometimes major stuff) around the start of the application season in September. So as you start to gather information about schools' application procedures and deadlines, be sure to revisit the schools' pages to verify your information in the fall. One school I applied to last year had moved up their application deadline by a month from the previous year, so I was surprised when I happened to look through their website last fall and saw the new sooner deadline.

I wasn't overly organized or anything, but I did make an actual materials checklist for each school and hung them up in my bedroom where I would be able to look at them all of the time, each time I looked at them it sunk in more and more what exactly it is I need to do. I didn't keep binders or folders of stuff, didn't really have much in the way of physical materials from schools, but I am the kind of person who really likes to check things off of to-do lists. Each time I can put a check mark next to something the less overwhelmed I am and the more accomplished I feel. I didn't take down the lists until I heard from each school because it was only then that I felt really "finished" with them. I also came across a really great "fortune" from a fortune cookie while I was in the middle of the "waiting for results" process and really needed a lift because I had just found out I was on the waitlist for my dream school, I hung that up next to the lists, it says "never confuse a single defeat with the final one." It was so appropriate at the time that it was a little eerie. Now for some reason I can't seem to bring myself to take down the one from the school I was accepted to. It still hangs there, right in front of my face...the other 2 I took down right away and put up my acceptance letter next to the check list...sentimental maybe. When I stop to look at it I marvel at how much work it was, that I actually got it all done and it paid off. It's my favorite list at the moment.

I wasn't overly organized or anything, but I did make an actual materials checklist for each school and hung them up in my bedroom where I would be able to look at them all of the time, each time I looked at them it sunk in more and more what exactly it is I need to do. I didn't keep binders or folders of stuff, didn't really have much in the way of physical materials from schools, but I am the kind of person who really likes to check things off of to-do lists. Each time I can put a check mark next to something the less overwhelmed I am and the more accomplished I feel. I didn't take down the lists until I heard from each school because it was only then that I felt really "finished" with them. I also came across a really great "fortune" from a fortune cookie while I was in the middle of the "waiting for results" process and really needed a lift because I had just found out I was on the waitlist for my dream school, I hung that up next to the lists, it says "never confuse a single defeat with the final one." It was so appropriate at the time that it was a little eerie. Now for some reason I can't seem to bring myself to take down the one from the school I was accepted to. It still hangs there, right in front of my face...the other 2 I took down right away and put up my acceptance letter next to the check list...sentimental maybe. When I stop to look at it I marvel at how much work it was, that I actually got it all done and it paid off. It's my favorite list at the moment.

That strikes me as both adorable and awesome. I'm also a HUGE list writer. I love post-its as well. In fact, my apartment is more or less wallpapered in colorful standard sized post its with GRE words that I didn't recognize when going through the list of 4,000 in a NOVA'S prep book. It's pretty, and actually a wonderful way to learn (seriously, I've learned at least 150 new words in the past week through this technique alone). I might steal your idea a bit, but in the form of a bulletin board or magnetic whiteboard. Love it!

Edited by spctle342