Ed Tech: Oxford, Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, NYU

Airwick

Hello everyone,

Suppose I should start with my statistics...

GRE Score: N/A

GPA: 3.8 (Digital Media)

Work Experience: One-to-one Academic Tutor: 2 Years, Developer/Tutor Ohio Learning Collaborative: 2 Years, Arts Educator: 1 Year, Discovery Channel Production Intern: 3 Months, Discovery Education Intern: Accepted offer for next Fall. Just applied to U.S. Department of Education (New Media) for June - July

Undergrad Institution(Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): State University in Ohio

Research Experience: Researched and developed my own online teaching collaborative, Informal Education: http://www.ejschilli...tfolio=lesson-3.

Applying for PhD or Masters: Masters, 2013

Program: Educational Technology

What Schools Are You Applying To: Oxford (MSC), Stanford (LDT), Harvard (TIE), Columbia (CCTE), NYU (EDCT)

Unfortunately, I'm struggling to wrap my head around these five terrific programs. I won't bore you with my back story so suffice to say I am very interested in Educational Broadcasting and Technology...

I fell in love with the Harvard Graduate School of Education after my informational meeting last Summer. Everyone was so kind and warm. Terrific course options too. Not to mention, I would have a direct connection to the MIT Media Lab!

I find the Stanford (LDT) program appealing because it appears students' collaborate on their own research projects. Also, I may have an option to collaborate with the most talented computer programmers in the world. How cool is that?

I'm drawn to Columbia & NYU because of their proximity to media industry in New York City. For instance, I would love to hold an internship with the Sesame Workshop. Cause they aren't returning my phones call at the moment...

Any additional information about these programs or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Eric

Edited by Airwick

Eric,

Hi! I'm a TIE alumnus and current EdD student at HGSE. Your interests are a little loosely defined here, but it sounds like you'd mesh very well with the TIE program. Joe Blatt (the department head) is still directly connected to the education (and non-education) media community, and many of the faculty members consult with broadcast and media producers.

Good luck with your applications!

Eric,

Hi! I'm a TIE alumnus and current EdD student at HGSE. Your interests are a little loosely defined here, but it sounds like you'd mesh very well with the TIE program. Joe Blatt (the department head) is still directly connected to the education (and non-education) media community, and many of the faculty members consult with broadcast and media producers.

Good luck with your applications!

Thanks for the advice, tut. I am interested in developing videos to engage students in concepts that seem dry and unappealing. For instance, I plan on making a film in the coming weeks about myself approaching a cute girl and how that translates into writing an introductory paragraph. You know: start off interesting, avoid cliches, get to the point. Aside from video, I would like to work on educational programs like iPad applications. I could see teaming up with someone on the development of an interactive map to help kids learn and remember historical events. Or maybe developing a word processing application that collects data from students and makes suggestion about how to improve their writing skills? I am just very interested in this kinda stuff :D

Edited by Airwick