applications asking about other programs being considered

spctle342

So I’ve finally identified my top five social work graduate programs (for reference, but probably not germane to this discussion and in order of preference: WUSTL, University of Texas-Austin, University of Iowa, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor). I had a “safety school,” but eliminated it from consideration when I realized that if I were to be rejected from the other five, I’d prefer to spend a year working and strengthening my application than to accept an offer from that school.

All of the programs seem like a good fit for me, some more than others. In reviewing the applications for various programs, I’ve found that some of them specifically ask about the other programs to which I’ve applied. This caught me off-guard… Can anyone explain why this is asked? It’s hard for me to admit to my top school that I’m looking at four other programs, even though I realize it’s not reasonable to apply only to one or two schools. I’m still curious how that information is used or considered relevant to my application.

Additionally, when asking people for LoRs, is it wise to indicate to such people the programs at the top of my list? Because I will be seeking LoRs from the same people for each program, I’d prefer that if they must delegate their time between the five letters, they focus a greater amount of their attention on the letters to my top two schools, versus the other three. Is this strategic or might it backfire in some unintended way?

All of the programs seem like a good fit for me, some more than others. In reviewing the applications for various programs, I’ve found that some of them specifically ask about the other programs to which I’ve applied. This caught me off-guard… Can anyone explain why this is asked? It’s hard for me to admit to my top school that I’m looking at four other programs, even though I realize it’s not reasonable to apply only to one or two schools. I’m still curious how that information is used or considered relevant to my application.

This comes up year after year after year .. you can try and search for previous threads that asked this very question. It won't hurt you to name other schools, as long as there is a general consistency among them. Schools know that they are (usually) not the only place applicants apply to and they're not too troubled by that. They ask this question to gather statistics about their competition. Later, if you're accepted and decline their offer, they may be again interested in knowing whose offer you accepted -- for the exact same reason. By knowing which other schools most of their applicants are considering they can try and understand how to make their own program more attractive (placing it on par with close competitors). As long as your list does not look like you're all over the place - applying to unrelated departments or to vastly differently ranked ones, don't worry about it.

Additionally, when asking people for LoRs, is it wise to indicate to such people the programs at the top of my list? Because I will be seeking LoRs from the same people for each program, I’d prefer that if they must delegate their time between the five letters, they focus a greater amount of their attention on the letters to my top two schools, versus the other three. Is this strategic or might it backfire in some unintended way?

Well, most of the time professors only write one letter for each applicant and then tweak it for each school. The part that takes more time is the attached form they have to fill out for each application, which they can't just copy-paste. I don't think it would backfire to indicate preferences but I wouldn't tell them that the reason you're stating those preferences is in case the slack off and don't have enough time to invest in your letters. I'd go about in more of an advice-seeking way. Request a meeting with them to ask about where you should apply. Tell them what your preferences are (and why) and ask if they make sense. You may get some interesting input about your list, or your opinions may be confirmed. Either way, you won't lose by going about it that way.

Thanks, fuzzylogician! I had attempted to search for similar topics, but couldn't really come up with any search terms that I thought would capture the essence of what I was asking.

I realize that letters will invariably be somewhat generic (save for the individualized questions of each insitutution). That said, my top choice doesn't have a specific form for letters of recommendation. It's totally up to the writers, so perhaps that's why I would really like my professors to transcend the typical LoR. I want to ensure that they highlight aspects of my qualifications that relate directly to that program and touch on issues that are emphasized in the program but not explicitly communicated, in the absence of any formal criteria from the program itself. I hope that I wouldn't be out of line to ask that sort of favor from those who are graciously donating their time to provide recommendations.

Unfortunately, my undergraduate degree is in psychology, so I really have no one with whom I can discuss graduate programs in social work (my school doesn't offer a social work program). Really, that's why I'm spending so much time on these forums. I'm desperately trying to compensate for the lack of a mentor or any advice from my undergraduate institution.

Thanks, fuzzylogician! I had attempted to search for similar topics, but couldn't really come up with any search terms that I thought would capture the essence of what I was asking.

I realize that letters will invariably be somewhat generic (save for the individualized questions of each insitutution). That said, my top choice doesn't have a specific form for letters of recommendation. It's totally up to the writers, so perhaps that's why I would really like my professors to transcend the typical LoR. I want to ensure that they highlight aspects of my qualifications that relate directly to that program and touch on issues that are emphasized in the program but not explicitly communicated, in the absence of any formal criteria from the program itself. I hope that I wouldn't be out of line to ask that sort of favor from those who are graciously donating their time to provide recommendations.

Unfortunately, my undergraduate degree is in psychology, so I really have no one with whom I can discuss graduate programs in social work (my school doesn't offer a social work program). Really, that's why I'm spending so much time on these forums. I'm desperately trying to compensate for the lack of a mentor or any advice from my undergraduate institution.

In that case, if your recommenders don't know much about the field you're entering or the schools you've chosen, it may be wise to provide them with a clear list of preferences and reasons for those preferences. At best, your letter writers will use the reasons you listed in your letter, making it stronger and more personal. At worst, they'll ignore them. Seems like you have nothing to lose by providing the list, in my opinion,

Here are some random links to previous discussions about mentioning other schools you're applying to: