Recommendations? (English w/ concentration in film studies)

Hey everyone.

So I have now decided to go back into the graduate school game. I have already attained a M.A. degree in English (lit. emphasis) and while my course work predominately focused on literature and theory, my thesis work (and, yes, my passions) were largely about film. With this in mind, I am now looking for two types of programs for my doctoral work:

1) Cinema Studies programs -- which I already have a list of and am researching pretty dilligently...

2) English programs that will allow me to focus on cinema and media. Yes, I also plan on returning to literature somewhat (if this is the route I decide to take), but I would like for my concentration -- certainly my course work and specifically my dissertation work -- to be based on film studies. I am not opposed to going after an additional certificate if that is what it takes. But I want to focus on film as my area of expertise. Hence: English with a concentration on film studies. Yup. That's what I want. :)

Of the former, I am set with a list of good schools. But for English programs... I'm having some difficulties. I know these English programs exist, but they're hard to find; mostly it is a matter of certain departments not advertising their film-studies-friendliness. I have a few stray ideas about places to go (based on a list of scholars I want to work with), but I don't want to mess this up and I don't want to limit my options.

So does anyone out there have some good recommendations for English phd programs that would allow me to persue this focus in film and media studies? Anything from "top-tier" to "safety" schools will be considered. Sank'yu.

• 3 months later...

Off the top of my head: Syracuse's English program advertises a strength in film studies, and Pittsburgh has a few film/media scholars in their English dept too. Some media/film people I know applied to the Cultural Studies program through Pitt's Eng department, and I applied to Syracuse because I'm interested in working with Steven Cohan. I don't think either of these programs are particularly well ranked, but they aren't jokes either. Anyway, thought I'd post this just in case you're still lurking...good luck with the whole process.

I applied to English programs this fall with similar-ish concerns, and have had a pretty successful run (so far). English depts are the place for me, but as someone also interested in visual culture, I have to say that they're maybe not such a great place for everyone. It's hard to find English programs that will both allow you to strike the balance between literary and visual culture as well as offer institutional/faculty support for doing such, but I think it can be done. This is maybe a good place for anyone who's had the same problem to come discuss.

The important thing for you to first think about is whether or not you really want to be rooted in an English program. Think about what interests you most. As a DGS at a top-15 English department explained to me when I asked him/her this same question: historically, film studies has been closely concerned with a specific--some might say relatively narrow--set of questions concerning film diegetics, production, and history; theoretically, film studies work came to be shaped in the earlier life of the discipline by specific engagements with psychoanalysis and related theories of spectatorship and the gaze, from which, one might argue, it's still trying to recover.

To you, I ask (as I was asked): Are broader questions about textuality and representation, about the role of narrative in spectacle and entertainment, about literary responses to social experience, part of your work? Are these the kinds of issues you want to be thinking, teaching, and writing about? If so, there's a strong argument to be made that an excellent PhD program in English, especially one with demonstrable opportunities for interdisciplinary work (see: Princeton, Michigan, Duke, Berkeley, Penn, and so many others), would serve you best. If not, stick to film studies.

If you really do want English and/or some form of literary studies program, I would look into programs that are closely aligned with English programs but not necessarily restrictive to a particular canon. Have you looked into Literature at Duke, for example? Rhetoric, at Berkeley (which has a Film Studies track)? Modern Culture & Media (Brown)? Modern Thought & Literature (Stanford)? I name these in particular because a) they aren't Comparative Literature programs, which you might only fit well into if you're really into transnational training; and B) they share a great deal of overlap with the English programs at these schools -- both in terms of theoretical interests and in terms of faculty -- and might serve you well. There are many similar programs, at Minnesota, a couple other UCs, and elsewhere, but I'll leave you the pleasure of the heavy digging.

Remember that no matter how wonderfully interdisciplinary they are, great English programs do have a certain agenda that usually involves some degree of canonical training -- disciplinary training. Are you going to cringe over that pre-1700s requirement? Not so set on reading the Faerie Queen? Departmental requirements in English may get on your nerves if the canon at large is really of little interest. And grad school isn't a place where you'll want to waste time taking more than a few classes that will ultimately prove completely unnecessary to your training.

Think about what you want, first, and get in touch with faculty and graduate students at potential departments. They'll tell you the deal and you can go from there.

I might also mention Harvard, depending on your specific interests. Professor Marjorie Garber is head of Visual and Environmental Studies (where Film Study resides) and also holds a chair in the English department, and there are other faculty with cross-disciplinary interests tending that direction.

I might also mention Harvard, depending on your specific interests. Professor Marjorie Garber is head of Visual and Environmental Studies (where Film Study resides) and also holds a chair in the English department, and there are other faculty with cross-disciplinary interests tending that direction.

Truth. And given that Harvard started their new PhD prog. in Film this year, who knows -- Harvard could become quite an interdisciplinary place. As it stands, though, not so much.