Social geography

sociolog86

I'm a second year MA student in sociology wondering if anyone knows of any PhD programs where I might study topics in social geography. I'm interested in qualitative methods to study things like space and identity and fitness geographies. Specific topcs I'm exploring are home remodeling as it relates to identity or the fitness experiences of people who've undergone weight loss surgery (including emotions about going to gyms and fitness spaces).

Any ideas for programs or faculty I might look into? I'm contemplating programs in sociology and geography mostly.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi Sociolog86,

This is completely anecdotal, but I have heard that Geography is a really vibrant discipline in the UK compared to the U.S. If going abroad is at all a possibility for you, it may be worth a look at their programs. As for Sociology, I have the ASA Guide to Graduate Departments of Sociology, and I don't see Geography in the Index of Special Programs (there is Environmental Soc, though). That doesn't mean that they're aren't great programs out there, but they may be a bit harder to find than some of the other major focus areas. Do you have an advisor at your current program who could point you in the right direction, maybe?

Good luck with your search!

Soc-brioche

Hi Soc-brioche,

Thanks for your response! I've been doing a good bit of online searching through departments in both the US and the UK, and I think you're right about geography being a vibrant field in the UK, so I will most likely focus applying to programs there. Besides, spending a few years there would be an awesome adventure I think. It's relatively unusual to me how UK programs have professors with titles such as "Professor of Social Geography", yet this field of inquiry is completely absent in US programs. I have looked at some environmental soc concentrations, but I haven't had much luck so far. I suppose everything will fall into place this winter when applications are due, and I will be contacting prospective advisors in the coming months.

Thanks again!

Edited by sociolog86

Hi Soc-brioche,

Thanks for your response! I've been doing a good bit of online searching through departments in both the US and the UK, and I think you're right about geography being a vibrant field in the UK, so I will most likely focus applying to programs there. Besides, spending a few years there would be an awesome adventure I think. It's relatively unusual to me how UK programs have professors with titles such as "Professor of Social Geography", yet this field of inquiry is completely absent in US programs. I have looked at some environmental soc concentrations, but I haven't had much luck so far. I suppose everything will fall into place this winter when applications are due, and I will be contacting prospective advisors in the coming months.

Thanks again!

Soc-Brioche is true - the UK has excellent geography programs. Financial aid, however, is very hard to come by in the UK. If finances aren't a problem and if you're interested in working abroad - where social geography is better understood and respected as a field - definitely focus on the UK for your school search. Geography too often is limited to GIS and cartography in the US. Look for "human geography" programs, too.

I would recommend looking at the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Geography program, though - I almost applied to it. Great people there, and significant focus on human/social geography in addition to the GIS work.

I ended up not applying to geography partially because I knew it would be frustrating to be pigeon-holed as a map person or committed academic when looking for a job in applied research or non-profits/humanitarian work...

The key is finding a professor who you would love to work with, regardless of continent! :)

I'm a second year MA student in sociology wondering if anyone knows of any PhD programs where I might study topics in social geography. I'm interested in qualitative methods to study things like space and identity and fitness geographies. Specific topcs I'm exploring are home remodeling as it relates to identity or the fitness experiences of people who've undergone weight loss surgery (including emotions about going to gyms and fitness spaces).

Any ideas for programs or faculty I might look into? I'm contemplating programs in sociology and geography mostly.

Thanks!

There are plenty of geography and interdisciplinary programs you could/should look at, though it does depend somewhat on which qualitative methods you want to use. For example, CUNY (esp. Environmental Psychology), San Diego State/UCSB, Kentucky, Arizona, UNC, Washington, Berkeley and Clark could all be good places for you to study.

If you go to the AAG's website, you can search by specialty groups and use their websites to locate potential advisors. See here: http://www.aag.org/cs/about_aag/specialty_groups_2.

This is completely anecdotal, but I have heard that Geography is a really vibrant discipline in the UK compared to the U.S. If going abroad is at all a possibility for you, it may be worth a look at their programs. As for Sociology, I have the ASA Guide to Graduate Departments of Sociology, and I don't see Geography in the Index of Special Programs (there is Environmental Soc, though). That doesn't mean that they're aren't great programs out there, but they may be a bit harder to find than some of the other major focus areas. Do you have an advisor at your current program who could point you in the right direction, maybe?

Actually, geography is pretty vibrant in the US. See http://www.aag.org/. Last I heard, there were more than 10,000 members of the AAG.

Soc-Brioche is true - the UK has excellent geography programs. Financial aid, however, is very hard to come by in the UK. If finances aren't a problem and if you're interested in working abroad - where social geography is better understood and respected as a field - definitely focus on the UK for your school search. Geography too often is limited to GIS and cartography in the US. Look for "human geography" programs, too.

I agree with the suggestion to look at "human geography" programs. The phrase "social geography" just isn't used much by US academics. However, "cultural geography" is much more commonly used. Again, looking at the names of the specialty groups and their descriptions can help you identify how geographers talk about what you're interested in.

I ended up not applying to geography partially because I knew it would be frustrating to be pigeon-holed as a map person or committed academic when looking for a job in applied research or non-profits/humanitarian work...

Not sure I understand this point of yours, GardeningGrad. Geographers are definitely NOT pigeon-holed as map people. GIS and mapping are tools that geographers, sociologists, political scientists, forest scientists, ecologists, and many others use in their work. Also, given the interdisciplinary nature of geography and the multitude of post-grad school options people pursue, I highly doubt you would have been pegged as a "committed academic" if you applied to non-profits.