USC vs Brown

Aakash

Got an admit from both the universities with no funding. Which one should I choose?? I am not sure about job/PhD, so what should I do??

when and how did you hear back from USC?

i also got an admit to Brown, waiting to hear back from USC. Although no funding and its a no go for me at USC since I didnt get funding at Brown either.

when and how did you hear back from USC?

i also got an admit to Brown, waiting to hear back from USC. Although no funding and its a no go for me at USC since I didnt get funding at Brown either.

no brainer. Brown.

Brown is an Ivy league school and is world renowned. U$C is a school where rich (but not smart) people go and does not have the prestige of any Ivy school and is in the middle of south central LA ghetto.

no brainer. Brown.

Brown is an Ivy league school and is world renowned. U$C is a school where rich (but not smart) people go and does not have the prestige of any Ivy school and is in the middle of south central LA ghetto.

I must admit attending Brown does give you that "Ivy Leage" "WOW name, however, Brown isn't really known for its engineering. USC on the other hand has proven successful engineers and networks to go forth. They also have a better name (and ranking) than Brown in Engineering.

A plus is that Brown has a very nice campus (although it is in a small city of providence) and the class sizes would be very small compared to USC.

Tough choice. USC is stronger in Engineering overall, but their students have a reputation of being pretentious and thinking they're "better than they actually are". Brown is a wonderful school, but sadly their Engineering isn't that great. I'd go with USC and just try to dispel the stereotype!

Tough choice. USC is stronger in Engineering overall, but their students have a reputation of being pretentious and thinking they're "better than they actually are". Brown is a wonderful school, but sadly their Engineering isn't that great. I'd go with USC and just try to dispel the stereotype!

U$C students have the reputation of being rich (as their only reason of getting in). Go with Brown.

Well remember, your not going to school because of the "well this school is rich" and "that school is that". Your going there for the education, which is why and how schools are ranked (most the time, not always). Go for the school that will allow you to excel with opportunities, in which both school should help you do that.

My advice? Let's phase it USC and Brown will cost you about the same after its all said and done with since you got no scholarship and most likely will not get any. When I was accepted into Brown they told me for the entire masters expect to pay a good $70,000 total for housing, tuition, fees, food, etc.

$70,000 is a lot of money to make a decision by people online. Here's my advice, TAKE A PLANE RIDE TO GO VISIT THEM. You might go to Providence and hate the campus and hate the snow in the winter and feel that the Cali weather is much better. On the flip side, you might hate LA and the location of the school (heard it's in a ghetto area).

At most you'll spend 2 grand on a plane ride. Whats 2 grand when your talking about 70 grand.

Thanks for the suggestion guys..

Cost wise both will be almost same but there's a chance for RA/TA in Brown but at USC totally forget about it. The huge number of applicants is surely a disadvantage but the varied courses at USC is simple awesome. USC has produced a number of engineers that are famous for their work. Brown provides the ivy tag and it's liberal method of taking course is really good sort of study what you really like.

Lets see. How's Providence as a place?? And the people?? I think that does matter :)

Thanks for the suggestion guys..

Cost wise both will be almost same but there's a chance for RA/TA in Brown but at USC totally forget about it. The huge number of applicants is surely a disadvantage but the varied courses at USC is simple awesome. USC has produced a number of engineers that are famous for their work. Brown provides the ivy tag and it's liberal method of taking course is really good sort of study what you really like.

Lets see. How's Providence as a place?? And the people?? I think that does matter :)

If you like the city, Providence is very nice. Its only about an hour away from Boston as well and maybe 4-5 hours away from New York. The people there can be nice, but many are and can be jerks at times as well though (just like everywhere). It is Brown - an expensive school - so expect snotty stuck up rich people, depending on your financial status they might look beneath you, however the people at USC might do the same anyways.

I can't speak for Brown, but I was told flat out by the directors that there was absolutely no chance whatsoever for any student to receive a TA/RA at Brown for a masters program. They made this very clear to me, which what detracted my attention away from Brown. In other wards, do not expect to receive any financial funding from Brown. At least at USC, you'll have a chance to do it - although others might get it before you.

If you like the city, Providence is very nice. Its only about an hour away from Boston as well and maybe 4-5 hours away from New York. The people there can be nice, but many are and can be jerks at times as well though (just like everywhere). It is Brown - an expensive school - so expect snotty stuck up rich people, depending on your financial status they might look beneath you, however the people at USC might do the same anyways.

I can't speak for Brown, but I was told flat out by the directors that there was absolutely no chance whatsoever for any student to receive a TA/RA at Brown for a masters program. They made this very clear to me, which what detracted my attention away from Brown. In other wards, do not expect to receive any financial funding from Brown. At least at USC, you'll have a chance to do it - although others might get it before you.

Ah, I was hoping to bag an RA/TA after one semester. Now I have to think all over again.

About the rich kids, I don't give a damn and I think Grad students are mature enough not think of this way. Well according to some reviews, people at Brown are friendly but known as Hipsters. Is that right?? I think weed and all other stuffs, it happen in every other school.

Is providence have good companies for internships or people move to NY and Boston for it???

Ah, I was hoping to bag an RA/TA after one semester. Now I have to think all over again.

About the rich kids, I don't give a damn and I think Grad students are mature enough not think of this way. Well according to some reviews, people at Brown are friendly but known as Hipsters. Is that right?? I think weed and all other stuffs, it happen in every other school.

Is providence have good companies for internships or people move to NY and Boston for it???

Ya, I was thinking the same thing about the TA/RA, they made it clear to me about that which made me choice otherwise. In terms of jobs, sure theres jobs there, however, the vast majority of the "big companies" are going to be elsewhere, but don't let that think you cant still find a good company there. In terms of the drug scene, i'm not to sure (dont go there) however the drug scene is everywhere in every school. Like you said, this is a grad program your going to so your classmates will not be part of that group.