PhD Aerospace Engineering at OSU

atmaero

Hi ppl..

I have been admitted to the PhD program in Aerospace Engg.at the Ohio State University for Fall 2011. I`m taking the direct path from B.S. -> PhD.

I want know how much is the university ranking important for a PhD student?

I really like the research going on in the Aero dept there and I also have got a TA offer, so it`l be my most probable destination.

but one thing I`m a little worried about is the Aero program ranking. does it really matter much for a PhD? I`v heard people saying that "a PhD is all about research and not ranking".. To what extent is it true? OSU is a big ten School but the Aero program is ranked in the 20`s..

Please let me know of your opinion.

Thanks

All aerospace engineering degree programs will continue to be fully supported. Thus, the merged department will offer B.S, M.S and Ph.D degrees in aerospace engineering as well as mechanical engineering and M.S and Ph.D degrees in nuclear engineering. The change in the name of the merged department will also ensure that the merger does not impair the visibility of the disciplines to potential students as well as the public at large.

All aerospace engineering degree programs will continue to be fully supported. Thus, the merged department will offer B.S, M.S and Ph.D degrees in aerospace engineering as well as mechanical engineering and M.S and Ph.D degrees in nuclear engineering. The change in the name of the merged department will also ensure that the merger does not impair the visibility of the disciplines to potential students as well as the public at large.

Dear Brown,

thank you for your response. I saw these lines in the MAE website. however, my question is , as to "how important is ranking in choosing grad school for PhD? "

Some one pls throw light on this

Dear Brown,

thank you for your response. I saw these lines in the MAE website. however, my question is , as to "how important is ranking in choosing grad school for PhD? "

Dear Brown,

I would be honored to say that you accepted into OSU and would not worry about that ranking.

The reason why I say don't worry about that ranking is because anything thats within the top-30 schools are all considered about the same academically wise. Granted a top-10 school sounds a lot better, there not learning anything more or different than you are.

When i visited the University of Michigan (not sure what they are for your program), the Electrical Engineering dean told me straight up that all schools in the top-30 give or take a few are very well respected programs and that your only paying to get that top-10 name.

just curious what your stats to get in were?

I would be honored to say that you accepted into OSU and would not worry about that ranking.

The reason why I say don't worry about that ranking is because anything thats within the top-30 schools are all considered about the same academically wise. Granted a top-10 school sounds a lot better, there not learning anything more or different than you are.

When i visited the University of Michigan (not sure what they are for your program), the Electrical Engineering dean told me straight up that all schools in the top-30 give or take a few are very well respected programs and that your only paying to get that top-10 name.

just curious what your stats to get in were?

@hasseye:

Thank you!

I have a Bachelor`s degree in Mechanical Engineering with a GPA of about 9 (on a 10 point scale)

Involved in Departmental research in heat transfer of Nanofluids for a couple of years and published my work in an international conference. A few papers also pending review in a few international journals.Also, I did a couple of projects in CFD and heat transfer.

Added to this, I had some industrial exposure and also had a short term training in aircraft maintenance systems with the Indian Air Force.Other details you might find insignificant though, but this is my overall resume.

I`m quite happy about OSU actually. I was just concerned if the rankings would affect my career growth in any way.It may sound naive` to you, but since I`m an international student I don`t have much idea of how important university rankings are in the US.

Edited by atmaero

@hasseye:

Thank you!

I have a Bachelor`s degree in Mechanical Engineering with a GPA of about 9 (on a 10 point scale)

Involved in Departmental research in heat transfer of Nanofluids for a couple of years and published my work in an international conference. A few papers also pending review in a few international journals.Also, I did a couple of projects in CFD and heat transfer.

Added to this, I had some industrial exposure and also had a short term training in aircraft maintenance systems with the Indian Air Force.Other details you might find insignificant though, but this is my overall resume.

I`m quite happy about OSU actually. I was just concerned if the rankings would affect my career growth in any way.It may sound naive` to you, but since I`m an international student I don`t have much idea of how important university rankings are in the US.

As mentioned, a degree from OSU and you will have a very nice career, I wouldn't worry about this school in terms of engineering.

In terms of rankings in the US, it all depends on your career objective. If you get your PhD and look to go to the industry, ranking has no relevance whatsoever, its just the name that you reflect. If your talking about academia or research, then yes, the better "ranked" school you go to the better chance you have.

Now although this CAN happen, don't expect to get a PhD from OSU and expect to be a professor at MIT or Stanford, most likely that won't happen, or would be very tough. Generally, for academia, the school ranking that you go to, you have to drop further down the list to get a teaching job. So if OSU is ranked at 30th, you'll need to look at schools at the 40th/50th etc schools to have your best chance at a teaching position.

Whats your main intent?

As mentioned, a degree from OSU and you will have a very nice career, I wouldn't worry about this school in terms of engineering.

In terms of rankings in the US, it all depends on your career objective. If you get your PhD and look to go to the industry, ranking has no relevance whatsoever, its just the name that you reflect. If your talking about academia or research, then yes, the better "ranked" school you go to the better chance you have.

Now although this CAN happen, don't expect to get a PhD from OSU and expect to be a professor at MIT or Stanford, most likely that won't happen, or would be very tough. Generally, for academia, the school ranking that you go to, you have to drop further down the list to get a teaching job. So if OSU is ranked at 30th, you'll need to look at schools at the 40th/50th etc schools to have your best chance at a teaching position.

Whats your main intent?

That was very informative.

My main preference is to get into a research position in the Industry. Academia is not my main choice,but I am more interested in research - so, in the end,a position which satisfies my interests will be better, whether it is academia or industry.

But just out of curiosity , I went through the Aerospace faculty profiles of MIT and Stanford. Though many of MIT faculty were alums of MIT themselves , there were still others from other univs.( One of them is from OSU !).

Stanford has a greater variety . They have profs educated in UFL ,U southern Calif. , U Maryland and U Mich.Very few Stanford alums in there.

So things got a little confusing on this front..How did those Professors get to MIT/Stan?. What are the general criteria an Industry or an academic job expects from a fresh PhD graduate ( univ rankings apart)? Publications, Impact factors, presentations....anything specific?