please give me some advices on my GRE scores

moby

Hi,

I'm an international student whose native language is not English.

I took the GRE on 10/27/08 and got V670/Q760. The problem is my writing score..I will be extremely suprised if I get more than 2.5..seriously.

I'm applying for cognitive psychology programs in NYU, SUNY, etc. Most of the schools I'm applying have deadlines around mid December so I don't have enough time to practice for the writing and retake it. (Besides I'm not sure if I'd get better scores even if I retake it)

Would my writing score hurts me so badly? Do you guys think I should retake the GRE? I'd really appreciate your advices..

Thanks.

Hi,

Would my writing score hurts me so badly? Do you guys think I should retake the GRE? I'd really appreciate your advices..

Thanks.

The first question that comes to my mind is: do the programs you are applying to require writing samples? If so, then do not worry about the scores too much. As it stands, I think your scores are fine. Concentrate on your personal statement, and if required, submitting a sample that would dispel any skepticism about your writing ability.

Those are good scores you got. When you receive the report with the percentiles you'll see that your Verbal will probably make the 90%.

If you're worried about your writing score, think that they will also look at your TOEFL score.

It's my understanding that non-native English speakers are given the benefit of the doubt in situations like this. I would definitely try to call attention to that though, because if you were a native Englisher speaker, I believe they would look at your AW score as a serious red flag. Many departments specify in their FAQ or Admissions pages of their sites that people in your situation might get a break. You might even want to e-mail someone and tell them ahead of time so they know there's going to be an otherwise really solid applicant with a miserable AW score they should be on the lookout for.