University of Oregon Math PhD

Hi All,

I would like to congratulate all those who got accepted in the math PhD program at the University of Oregon.

If you don't mind sharing your stats, please post them here.

I'm a master student at an ok university in California and I would like to go to the University of Oregon for my math PhD.

Unfortunately, my grades (as of now) don't look so good. I still have three quarters left before I graduate, but the schools I will apply to this December won't have a chance to look at those grades (that is if my grades improve at all).

Here are my grades (I'm only taking two courses per quarter and TAing some calculus courses):

undergrad real analysis part 1 (using baby Rudin as textbook): A+

graduate algebra course (group theory): B-

undergrad real analysis part 2 (using baby Rudin as textbook): B

graduate algebra course (Module Theory): A-

undergrad real analysis part 3 (multivariable) (using baby Rudin as textbook): A (if things keep going well)

graduate algebra course (Galois theory):C (if I get lucky... :(

I'm planning to take two more graduate sequences for my remaining three quarters on either real analysis and complex analysis OR real analysis and topology.

Any suggestions on how to make my coursework more marketable?

I might also do a reading course on some stuff with operators and advanced linear algebra.

Should I pick complex or topology?

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and stats, I really appreciate it. The university of Oregon is one of my top choices and I really want to go there.

Hi All,

I would like to congratulate all those who got accepted in the math PhD program at the University of Oregon.

If you don't mind sharing your stats, please post them here.

I'm a master student at an ok university in California and I would like to go to the University of Oregon for my math PhD.

Unfortunately, my grades (as of now) don't look so good. I still have three quarters left before I graduate, but the schools I will apply to this December won't have a chance to look at those grades (that is if my grades improve at all).

Here are my grades (I'm only taking two courses per quarter and TAing some calculus courses):

undergrad real analysis part 1 (using baby Rudin as textbook): A+

graduate algebra course (group theory): B-

undergrad real analysis part 2 (using baby Rudin as textbook): B

graduate algebra course (Module Theory): A-

undergrad real analysis part 3 (multivariable) (using baby Rudin as textbook): A (if things keep going well)

graduate algebra course (Galois theory):C (if I get lucky... :(

I'm planning to take two more graduate sequences for my remaining three quarters on either real analysis and complex analysis OR real analysis and topology.

Any suggestions on how to make my coursework more marketable?

I might also do a reading course on some stuff with operators and advanced linear algebra.

Should I pick complex or topology?

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and stats, I really appreciate it. The university of Oregon is one of my top choices and I really want to go there.

I was accepted at UOregon (not attending) without taking any graduate classes, coming from the University of Nowhere. My upper-level math courses are listed below. I scored 840/90% on the subject GRE.

Analysis (Single Variable): A+

Metric Spaces: A+

Complex Variables: A+

Rings and Fields: A+

Group Theory: A+

Advanced Linear Algebra: A+

Number Theory: A+

Graph Theory: A

Modern Geometries: A+

Probability Theory: A+

I don't think it will make too much of a difference whether you choose complex or topology. Pick the one you're more interested in.