Admission to R1 EEB program

ecomatt

Hey all. I have been admitted to a fairly low ranking program in biology, but have an eye towards an active research career in academia. While I can do good work and try and make connections myself, I am under the impression that program and advisor pedigree have a lot to do with where one can end up post-doc and post-post-doc. I've considered deferring from the program I have been admitted to to take time to sort this out, and they seem pretty laid back about it currently. What I'm wondering is, given my stats, what are the chances I could get into a fairly competitive program if I backed out of the first program and reapplied, hoping to start a year later.

Stats: Undergrad GPA: 3.4 (3.64 in major) B.A. Biology

M.A. Biology, GPA 3.9

1 publication in a not-top journal

Years of field experience in a variety of topics

Fairly focused research interests and statement

GRE:

Verbal: 630 (90%) Quantitative 650 (60%), Analytical Writing 5.0 (81%)

Biology 730 (75%), Cellular and Molecular 65 (53%), Organismal 72 (74%), EE& Pop Bio 79 (88%)

I was told by potential advisors that I was competitive at well ranked programs, but have applied for a few years without getting in. I simply don't want to sink my career by starting down the wrong path while I still have time to correct it.

Thanks.

If you've applied to higher ranked programs without success several times and there are no substantial changes in your application, I would suggest staying in this program. My situtation was somewhat different: applied right out of undergrad, but with higher GPA and scores in everything except analytical writing (no publications). I got rejected from most programs (4/5) and had quite a battle to get into the 5th which is ranked around 15-40 by NRC. I'm not sure what you consider low ranked, but if it's about the same rank, I'd think that you should consider settling for it.

Here's a list of RU/VH universities (formerly known as R1): http://classifications.carnegiefoundation.org/lookup_listings/srp.php?clq={%22basic2005_ids%22%3A%2215%22}&limit=0,50

I know some pretty intersting EEB researchers at RU/H unviersities. If you work with a respectable advisor and do good work, I would suspect that the university that gives you your degree won't be so important.

Thanks for the info. I was told I was competitive by interested PIs at the time, but I suppose they have an interest in getting people to apply either way. The program ranking is not even top 100, which is where my trepidation lays. It is however a RU/H university with a Pi who is doing interesting work. While obviously the strength of one's work should be the ultimate deciding factor as to future career options, this is also within the context of very social animals making decisions about each other, so I have been told by a lot of sources that advisor connections and reputation of program matter a lot. Think I am going to stick with the first program and give it a really great shot. Thanks!