American SIS vs. NYU GSAS International Relations

Hi,

If you had the option to go to either American University's SIS for a Masters in U.S. Foreign Policy or NYU's Graduate School of Art & Science for a Masters in Inernational Relations, which would you choose?

I've been accepted to both and I've been mulling over this decision in my head for the past month. I've visited both schools and they are both great schools. Here's what I've come up with:

-NYU's Masters in IR is very new. I spoke to the advisor and he said it just started in the fall of 2010. That makes me a bit weary. American's program has been around for a longer time.

-NYU overall is a better school, however, I think American's SIS department is better b/c they seem more organized and devoted to the field

-American's professors have real world experience (diplomats, etc.)

-American is a member APSIA and NYU is not (not sure if this is important)

-Cost of living in NYU i think may be more expensive than DC

If anyone could give me their opinion and input I would be very appreciative.

Thank you

First of all, congrats on your acceptances!

Now, as far as the program selection goes, I think a big question that you may want to answer is "what is my intended career goal" with this degree.

What specifically do you have in mind to accomplish, career-wise, by pursuing this degree? Would you consider PhD studies after, or plan on going directly into the work force? Do you want a more 'academic' or 'policy' driven curriculum, etc.?

Each school will have different things to offer, depending on what you plan on using this degree to accomplish.

First of all, congrats on your acceptances!

Now, as far as the program selection goes, I think a big question that you may want to answer is "what is my intended career goal" with this degree.

What specifically do you have in mind to accomplish, career-wise, by pursuing this degree? Would you consider PhD studies after, or plan on going directly into the work force? Do you want a more 'academic' or 'policy' driven curriculum, etc.?

Each school will have different things to offer, depending on what you plan on using this degree to accomplish.

Thanks! My intended goal is to go directly into the work force after school. Perhaps in the future I may consider a PhD, but not for a couple of years. I am looking for a more policy driven curriculum. I would like to work for an international organization, or maybe a government position (although I would need to do more research on that). I would like to go to the school that gives me a more real world education rather than just reading a textbook like in undergrad.

I feel like American is more policy driven. With NYU i'm not sure, b/c I can't really find anything online. When I spoke with the advisor, he wasn't extremely helpful, he gave basic generic answers.

Would like think the reputation of the school as a whole matters as well?

I took the time to do a bit of research on the NYU webpage for the Masters degree you've described. Also, I am quite familiar with the AU webpage from a substantial amount of research I have done on their degree offerings.

Basically, after reading through what your inteded career goals are, I would personally chose the degree from AU. The experience from their faculty appears to be top notch for any career in the International Affairs field that you wish to get into.

Also, NYU masters programs, to my knoqwedge, will be quite stingy in terms of financial assistance (being a TA, RA, fellowships, scholarships, etc). And while I can not garuntee funding for you from AU, I'm thinknig they could offer you a more attractive package to attend.

Given your goals, AU seems like the more practical option given the type of curriculum you are looking for, its prime location, and its APSIA membership (if that matters to you). Also, American's SIS has a great reputation, so there is no need for worries as far as that goes.