Low GPA + un-related job , masters rejected ,what should I do ?

munis

Hi All,

This is my first post here , I'm from Karachi, Pakistan . Here's my academic profile : I received BS(Computer Engineering) degree from National University of Computing and Emerging Sciences (its a well-reputed University) . I have an overall 2.9 CGPA out of 4 , although I have around CGPA of 3.4 in last two years . I was part of IEEE as well . My research interests are reconfigurable computing , image processing and VLSI . My final year project was proof-of-concept of an efficient object tracking algorithm .

After graduation I got job as a software developer for a leading CRM consultancy here . Its been 11 months I'm still stuck at this job . I targeted Canadian universities for masters , University of Calgary and York University , unfortunately I have been rejected from both . I'm very stressed and demotivated right now , I'm afraid the longer I stay in CRM industry , the harder time I will have being accepted into a Computer Engineering Masters . I'm also searching for job as an embedded software developer which is more related to my interests (rare here)

Can somebody help me by suggesting what should I do ? Realisticly speaking in what universities (Canadian preferably , because I have some relatives there) I can make it ? I have very little time left to apply for 2012 session for most of universities . I was thinking of applying to University of Waterloo and University of Western Ontario but since I have been rejected from York and Calgary , I should not apply there .

I would really appreciate since getting a masters degree atleast and doing what interests me matters alot for me .

Thanks in advance

<br>Hi All,<br><br>This is my first post here , I'm from Karachi, Pakistan . Here's my academic profile : I received BS(Computer Engineering) degree from National University of Computing and Emerging Sciences (its a well-reputed University)&nbsp;&nbsp;. I have an overall 2.9 CGPA out of 4 , although I have around&nbsp;&nbsp;CGPA of 3.4 in last&nbsp;&nbsp;two years . I was part of IEEE as well . My research interests are reconfigurable computing , image processing and VLSI . My final year project was proof-of-concept of an efficient object tracking algorithm .<br><br>After graduation I got job as a software developer for a leading CRM consultancy here . Its been 11 months I'm still stuck at this job . I targeted Canadian universities for masters , University of Calgary and York University , unfortunately I have been rejected from both . I'm very stressed and demotivated right now , I'm afraid the longer I stay in CRM industry , the harder time I will have being accepted into a Computer Engineering Masters . I'm also searching for job as an embedded software developer which is more related to my interests (rare here)<br><br>Can somebody help me by suggesting what should I do ? Realisticly speaking in what universities (Canadian preferably , because I have some relatives there) I can make it ? I have very little time left to apply for 2012 session for most of universities . I was thinking of applying to University of Waterloo and University of Western Ontario but since I have been rejected from York and Calgary , I should not apply there .<br><br>I would really appreciate since getting a masters degree atleast and doing what interests me matters alot for me .<br><br>Thanks in advance<br>
<br><br>You can post your query in the appropriate forum - computer science - here in gradcafe and you can expect more relevant replies.<br>Also, you can try your luck in www.edulix.com , as it has many Asian/Pakistani applicants, and they may be able to guide you better on the prospects of international students of your profile applying to Canadian/US universities.<br><br>IMO, you should have applied to more universities to have a realistic chance of getting admitted in any of them. Just 2 are not good enough. Considering your profile, I don`t think its impossible to get admission to some decent university in Canada.You should work on building your profile and SOP to portray your achievements better.<br>Search for more universities suitable for your profile... you have to apply more to have better prospects.<br>All the best<br><br> Edited by atmaero

<br><br>You can post your query in the appropriate forum - computer science - here in gradcafe and you can expect more relevant replies.<br>Also, you can try your luck in www.edulix.com , as it has many Asian/Pakistani applicants, and they may be able to guide you better on the prospects of international students of your profile applying to Canadian/US universities.<br><br>IMO, you should have applied to more universities to have a realistic chance of getting admitted in any of them. Just 2 are not good enough. Considering your profile, I don`t think its impossible to get admission to some decent university in Canada.You should work on building your profile and SOP to portray your achievements better.<br>Search for more universities suitable for your profile... you have to apply more to have better prospects.<br>All the best<br><br>

Thank you very much for your reply.

I posted it here , because I'm interested in computer engineering rather than computer science . I'll try the links that you mentioned . Thanks again :)

Thank you very much for your reply.

I posted it here , because I'm interested in computer engineering rather than computer science . I'll try the links that you mentioned . Thanks again :)

I only know US schools and not Canadian, but to put it in perspective, I applied to 11 different schools for the Fall 2011 semester. Two schools or even 4 does not show how desperate you are to get out that company. My best advice, apply to as many schools as you can afford and most, with that GPA I would be looking for low low ranked schools or even nonranked schools to increase your chances of admittance. Otherwise, I would just start taking graduate engineering courses at a nearby university where you can then reapply again and prove to them you have and can handle the graduate workload.

goodluck

I agree with hasseye. I applied to 13 schools (PhD though) and only got into 2 with a "bad" GPA. If you're serious about doing a Masters degree, you need to apply to as many schools as you can (that you'd be willing to go to, of course). Since your GPA is so low, it's going to be very difficult to get into any of the top schools. You should definitely try applying to low ranked or non-ranked schools. It's your best shot right now if you don't want to stay at that company.

Whatever you do, don't give up. There are always schools or other companies that will want to take you if you work hard from now on and show your determination.