CV Help

Dante311

The Purdue OWL has some advice for getting you started, I believe.

You should collect several samples from people from your own discipline/sub-field, as well, to give you an idea of some successful ways to present information. If you don't have any friends/colleagues/mentors, just start googling. A lot of people make their CVs public on research blogs, department websites (including grad students), and the like.

As for length, there are no hard-and-fast rules there, either. Just use common sense: don't overly fluff things, but don't get so verbose that a committee is reading a 15-page document. I think I sent out a 3-page CV in my applications; I'm up to 4, now.

The Purdue OWL has some advice for getting you started, I believe.

You should collect several samples from people from your own discipline/sub-field, as well, to give you an idea of some successful ways to present information. If you don't have any friends/colleagues/mentors, just start googling. A lot of people make their CVs public on research blogs, department websites (including grad students), and the like.

As for length, there are no hard-and-fast rules there, either. Just use common sense: don't overly fluff things, but don't get so verbose that a committee is reading a 15-page document. I think I sent out a 3-page CV in my applications; I'm up to 4, now.

I appreciate the response. My graduate adviser told me that 2 pages was way too much. 1-1.5 pages was more than plenty... I feel privileged to have completed what I've done.

My CV includes (my information in the header)

Objective

Professional Profile (2 bullet pts)

Education (my MS & BS)

Teaching Responsibilities

Scholarly Contributions / Publications

Professional Memberships / Certifications

Professional / Technical Expertise

Research Experience (with sub headings for Clincial Research Asst & Clincial Ex Phys)

heh

too much?

I appreciate the response. My graduate adviser told me that 2 pages was way too much. 1-1.5 pages was more than plenty... I feel privileged to have completed what I've done.

My CV includes (my information in the header)

Objective

Professional Profile (2 bullet pts)

Education (my MS & BS)

Teaching Responsibilities

Scholarly Contributions / Publications

Professional Memberships / Certifications

Professional / Technical Expertise

Research Experience (with sub headings for Clincial Research Asst & Clincial Ex Phys)

heh

too much?

leave out objective- no one does that anymore. put in a grant/awards section if you have any.

Some of my applications specifically requested an objectives statement in the CV. I'd either keep it, or create two versions (one with, one without).

You can get creative with some of your sections, too, to help save space. If your awards mostly consisted of things like scholarships, for instance, that could maybe be merged into the education section (i.e., list awards/scholarships after each educational institution).