USC vs UT Austin

sirajm

Hello All

I completed my B.E in Chemical Engineering from the BITS, Pilani, and I have been a resident of the US for over a year now. I had applied for my masters in Petroleum Engg. for the Fall 2011 semester and I am in a dilemma right now. I have gotten an offer of admission from the Univ of Southern California, without funding and with a very late deadline of acceptance, and at the same time I have been informed by my first choice - UT austin - that i have been placed on their 'grey list' of qualified candidates and that my admission there is contingent on my securing an RA'ship. I have mailed a number of professors at UT, austin, and I have not received any very positive replied yet. Also, I have been informed that the date by which they make their decision could drag on till mid june or so, by when even USC might rescind my offer.

any idea what I should do?? Could I accept USC's offer and break it later on, if this UT austin offer pans out??

Yes, it's a situation you've got. But why don't you consider visiting Austin (since you are already in the US); talk to those professors one-on-one. Sometimes your physical presence may be more effective in getting a TA/RA than unsolicited emails. I'd recommend you do that asap before USC's deadline. I hope you realize USC (with LA) is very much expensive. I'd take it as the last option. Good luck.

I know that going to UT would be the best thing to do, however, as luck would have it, I am in a really tight spot because I have some unbreakable obligations which will keep me in India till the end of june. any other advice?

Yes, it's a situation you've got. But why don't you consider visiting Austin (since you are already in the US); talk to those professors one-on-one. Sometimes your physical presence may be more effective in getting a TA/RA than unsolicited emails. I'd recommend you do that asap before USC's deadline. I hope you realize USC (with LA) is very much expensive. I'd take it as the last option. Good luck.

man, just come over here, Austin is awesome and there is a big Indian community in the North Austin Area (although, since most of those guys are well-employed in semi conductors industry, the restaurants are pretty expensive :(

LOL.... but not pertinent to the present discussion.... UT austin is my first priority, but they are not confirming anything.... have been on their grey list for close to two months now....

man, just come over here, Austin is awesome and there is a big Indian community in the North Austin Area (although, since most of those guys are well-employed in semi conductors industry, the restaurants are pretty expensive :(

• 1 month later...

i cant believe it. we are in the same situation. i have been on the grey list at Uni of texas at austin for some months now and also just got usc admission. Though i have another admission in new york, its not petroleum engineering. I have started applying for my visa using USC though. what did you eventually decide.