third bachelor's or go for master's?

beatle08

Hi All -

I already have two undergrad degrees, one in music and one in biology, and have recently fallen in love with computer science. I randomly signed up for an intro programming class this past fall, really enjoyed it, and have continued taking comp sci class (and will be taking classes this summer).

In order to complete the pre-reqs just to be considered for admissions to a Masters program, it would take me at least another year and a half. By that time, I could finish another degree. However, I'm worried that a third bachelor's may make me appear somewhat indecisive and give the impression I am the dreaded "professional student". On the other hand, I've been working for two years, feel I have a much better grip on what I want to do with my life and the kinds of careers I would find fulfilling, and feel that getting another bachelor's would strengthen applications for Masters program in the future. Also, as a note, I'm not particularly interested in pursuing a degree in bioinformatics - while I like learning about biology, it doesn't excite me the way computer science does!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

If you really enjoy programming, you should learn it on the side. It is pretty accessible for people to pick up and learn on their own. Don't pay for another degree. Most jobs require the knowledge of certain languages and experience. Maybe a bachelors degree (but you already have that), but not always. If you want a job in computer science (e.g. programming), you won't need to go for a masters degree. I worked for a tech start up, with guys who went to MIT to do computer science and guys who didn't finish college. It's kind of the great equalizer.

A third bachelors degree will probably send an opposite message to the adcom -- you don't know what you want, and you aren't mature enough to be successful in their program (not necessarily get good grades, but graduate and be successful in the field that will add to its reputation, in general).

An internship or job in comp. sci would mean a lot more to an admissions committee (if you're set on doing a masters...), because it shows you're trying to gain experience and improve your skill set--not only in a classroom. I would highly suggest this, instead of investing $$$ in another degree.

Hi All -

I already have two undergrad degrees, one in music and one in biology, and have recently fallen in love with computer science. I randomly signed up for an intro programming class this past fall, really enjoyed it, and have continued taking comp sci class (and will be taking classes this summer).

In order to complete the pre-reqs just to be considered for admissions to a Masters program, it would take me at least another year and a half. By that time, I could finish another degree. However, I'm worried that a third bachelor's may make me appear somewhat indecisive and give the impression I am the dreaded "professional student". On the other hand, I've been working for two years, feel I have a much better grip on what I want to do with my life and the kinds of careers I would find fulfilling, and feel that getting another bachelor's would strengthen applications for Masters program in the future. Also, as a note, I'm not particularly interested in pursuing a degree in bioinformatics - while I like learning about biology, it doesn't excite me the way computer science does!

Thanks!

Hi All -

Thanks!

I don't know if you have any interest in programming specific to media (this could be web development, graphics, audio, etc.) but if you do, you could get a master's at a new media program that focuses heavily on programming. You don't need a bachelor's in CS to get into these.

New Media is an area that bleeds into the humanities as well, which might tie into your artsy/music background. (For instance, a lot of rhet/comp scholars with digital focuses work with New Media.)