CIA interview flukes?

I have heard on several separate occasions that even provided all of the relevant qualifications, a security position with CIA/another government agency is a never near certain due to flukes with, among other things, lie detector test. Can someone shed more light on this? Is it that they ask certain questions likely to trip people at random (like what), or is it more of a false positive type scenario?

I have heard on several separate occasions that even provided all of the relevant qualifications, a security position with CIA/another government agency is a never near certain due to flukes with, among other things, lie detector test. Can someone shed more light on this? Is it that they ask certain questions likely to trip people at random (like what), or is it more of a false positive type scenario?

When you're talking about upper level security clearances (required for intelligence agencies), nothing is a sure bet. Polygraphs aren't perfect - or anywhere near perfect for that matter. If you want to find out a bit more about polygraphs and clearances in the federal process you might check out this website (try one of these threads) - but don't get too put off by the message board chatter of (often disenchanted) federal employees. I know people that have passed polygraphs and I know people who haven't (sometimes due to situations out of their control).

My advice is follow your passion but, to the extent possible, have a plan B.

When I was talking to a CIA recruiter earlier this year, they mentioned something similar. Apparently people screw up for two reasons: 1) lying about illegal music downloading, which is a federal crime and 2) the person administrating the test is combative on purpose to see how people react under pressure. For example, the woman I talked to had never done drugs. The administrator's response was to ask pointed, insulting questions like "why not? did you have friends? didn't you ever get invited to parties?" etc.

The administrators who handle IC CI Polys, etc can be quite combative. The key is to be honest aka full disclosure. Just be completely honest and relax and you will be fine. People who fail tend to either be lying, or quite commonly are too nervous and it gives erratic readings. It is a shame that some people get dinged for the latter reason, but it does happen.

If you have any other queries feel free to PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was talking to a CIA recruiter earlier this year, they mentioned something similar. Apparently people screw up for two reasons: 1) lying about illegal music downloading, which is a federal crime and 2) the person administrating the test is combative on purpose to see how people react under pressure. For example, the woman I talked to had never done drugs. The administrator's response was to ask pointed, insulting questions like "why not? did you have friends? didn't you ever get invited to parties?" etc.

Go figure, I heard that polygraphs were really only designed to respond to yes/no questions.

Honestly OP, I don't know if you're going to get any detailed responses from anyone who has actually taken one given the non-disclosure stuff surrounding them.