Thinking of applying--questions

aabb123

Hi all,

New member, and first post. I'm a recent graduate and thinking of applying to a masters program in Computer Science. I have done a good amount of research already but still have a few lingering questions I was hoping y'all could help me answer.

I am an undergraduate math degree, not computer science. Despite having a knack for math, I know pretty much nothing about computer science. So, I think I've narrowed down my options:

Track 1

• Take prerequisite undergraduate courses at target school (yes, I can only feasibly think about applying to one school)
  • Self-study and take CS GRE with class notes
  • Apply with CS GRE and revised GRE
    • Take prerequisite undergraduate courses at target school
    • Submit ONLY revised GRE scores
    • Apply
      • Buy a general theory CS textbook and self study for subject GRE
      • Apply with revised GRE and CS GRE
      • Possibly save money by not needing to take prerequisites?

Track 4

[*]Use revised GRE and apply. ALL IN, BABY!

If anyone has any advice or suggestions please let me know! Thanks! - Pete

It would help to know which school this is. A masters degree costs a whole lot, I wouldn't waste money taking more undergraduate courses...

Thanks for the responses. The school is Columbia, and that's the only one because I am also working in that area (So, I would be part time). this also means that cost is less of an issue, because I have tuition assistance. In terms of specializations, I think I want to try for a software- or architecture- oriented programs, although that could make little sense. Again, I am still a beginner in this process.

Thanks for the responses. The school is Columbia, and that's the only one because I am also working in that area (So, I would be part time). this also means that cost is less of an issue, because I have tuition assistance. In terms of specializations, I think I want to try for a software- or architecture- oriented programs, although that could make little sense. Again, I am still a beginner in this process.

It's tougher to switch from Math to an area in Software or Architecture - if it were Theory you were interested in, then the transition would be easier. At a visit day I went to earlier this year, I met someone who was admitted to a CS PhD with a Math undergrad, but she was in Theory. Does Columbia have specific requirements for Computer Science background for their Master's program? Usually schools will list what they expect in terms of CS background, so you could check their website to see if a bachelor's degree in Math would be adequate.

I must say I don't know anything about masters admissions. I'm curious though, why not also add NYU, CUNY, and Poly to increase your chances of getting in? Is the subway ride that bad?

Hm, that's a good point. I've added some schools to my list. Originally, I thought I had excluded all schools based on availability of night-time classes and how far they were. I also looked at some professional distance-learning programs, but I think people generally have a low opinion of what they call a "fake" degree. I've added a few schools to my list.

I did a bit more thinking, and I decided to go ahead and take the prerequisite courses. I hope it'll do a few things: 1) Get me ready for the GRE/CS 2) Give me a solid foundation for grad-level course work 3) I can ease into studying/working at the same time. Thanks for the help.