Military history (Roman Republic)

acientwarfare

I have been searching around for faculty members or recent grad student profiles who are interested in the Punic Wars and military history of the Roman Republic period. I have seen that most people concentrating in ancient military focus either on Greek or late roman periods. Why exactly is this? Also, If I want to focus my work in this area would it matter if I went to a program that does not advertise a military specialty?

I have been searching around for faculty members or recent grad student profiles who are interested in the Punic Wars and military history of the Roman Republic period. I have seen that most people concentrating in ancient military focus either on Greek or late roman periods. Why exactly is this? Also, If I want to focus my work in this area would it matter if I went to a program that does not advertise a military specialty?

There has already been a post about this somewhere in this forum but not exactly sure where....

I'm also interested in late Roman Republican/early Imperial warfare, and there are tons of scholars who are also interested in this.

What I suggest you do is, is look at the authors of the subject matter that you are interested in and then just search where they work/teach, etc. That way you can trace and find scholars who share similar interests.

It really comes down to the amount of information that is floating about in regards to a particular period.

Although we generally know more about the republican army than, say, mid to later Empire, there is nevertheless a lack of evidence when compared to the late Republic/Principate/Early Empire period.

It's a great area to be interested in but simply be aware of what material there is to work with. It look like you may need to go the route of us damned archaeologists ;) Poke around and see if there are any new digs uncovering information that may help you, talk to your profs and see if there are recommended contacts, and email people! Don't be afraid to get in touch with faculty members at any University if they look like they'd be helpful.