M.Ed. without teaching/education background etc.?

armyofbieber

I'm not sure if some of the earlier threads would provide me some ideas, but anyway...

I'm about to complete my bachelor's in biology next spring, and I've had the intention to get my master's in biology after that.

However, I've also been thinking of M.Ed. for quite some time now.

I still love biology, but, as things are now, I'm headed into a career of lab work without much social contacts. I'd like to have an impact on people's lives, especially in terms of education.

I wouldn't necessarily want to teach K-12, but I'd love to work with others in revising curriculum, doing research on science education, especially in urban settings and so.

So, is it realistic to apply to M.Ed. programs without teaching experience? I've seen other threads where people have asked about the necessity of having a bachelors in education, and I've understood that it is not mandatory.

I haven't taken GREs yet, but my GPA is 3.2 and I have 2 years of research experience in 2 different molecular biology (DNA, systematics, biogeography) labs. I'm applying this fall for possible fall 2012 entry.

All ideas would be most appreciated.

I'm not sure if some of the earlier threads would provide me some ideas, but anyway...

I'm about to complete my bachelor's in biology next spring, and I've had the intention to get my master's in biology after that.

However, I've also been thinking of M.Ed. for quite some time now.

I still love biology, but, as things are now, I'm headed into a career of lab work without much social contacts. I'd like to have an impact on people's lives, especially in terms of education.

I wouldn't necessarily want to teach K-12, but I'd love to work with others in revising curriculum, doing research on science education, especially in urban settings and so.

So, is it realistic to apply to M.Ed. programs without teaching experience? I've seen other threads where people have asked about the necessity of having a bachelors in education, and I've understood that it is not mandatory.

I haven't taken GREs yet, but my GPA is 3.2 and I have 2 years of research experience in 2 different molecular biology (DNA, systematics, biogeography) labs. I'm applying this fall for possible fall 2012 entry.

All ideas would be most appreciated.

Probably not what you're looking for, but Leuven in Belgium offers a Master's in Education for people coming from a non-education background:

The programme's primary objective is to provide students with no previous experience in educational studies with professional training with a view to a career in middle management within an educational institution. This is achieved by providing in-depth knowledge in one or more subdomain of educational studies.

By the end of the programme, the student will possess:

- fundamental insight into a scholarly approach to educational models and the relationships between them; presuppositions that influence thought about individuals and society; methodology directed to defining, situating, and resolving pedagogical problems; ethical aspects of academic and professional practice; relevant developments in research and in the field;

- skills in the analysis of practical and theoretical problems from the perspective of educational pedagogy; setting up, executing and evaluating scholarly research; use and/or design of instruments for the optimization of situations in practical situations; critical reflection on the content of practical interventions; linking theoretical concepts to practical acts; guiding and developing innovations;

- specific knowledge and skills at the level of educational and school policy; school leadership and management; innovation in education, educational didactics; instructional psychology and technology, including teaching, professional and continuing education, advice on education in the family, etc.

http://onderwijsaanbod.kuleuven.be/opleidingen/e/SC_51016818.htm

• 1 month later...

Like others have said it is definitely possible. I'm currently in a M.Ed program in special education and came from an English BA with no education background. I chose a M.Ed instead of a MAT because it seemed like it would give me more research opportunities. IMO MAT programs ) in my area atleast_ seemed very focused on licensure, and I wanted to get licensure while getting a graduate education.

Biology (and science in general) is also a high demand subject area in education. That alone would probably help you bridge the gap from your current experience to education. I know my state (TN) has a special program for professionals in science and math that provides discounted tuition rates and a bridge into a teacher education program. You could see if there is something similar in your area.