Advice PhD History fo Medicine UK vs. USA

Ln5390a

Hey Guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I got into two UK PhD programs (KCL without funding and Manchester might fund me TBD). I applied to one program in the USA and was rejected in 2010.

I'm applying for a PhD in the History of Medicine. (In the UK my proposed topic is about reproduction and the 19th century). I know its a sorta smaller field (the history of surgery and the history of reproduction). I did apply to Cambridge several times (like 5) with no luck (they had a funded project in the history of reproduction and I thought perfect match...alas not to be). When I was 21 I applied to Yale and was rejected as well.

I have an MA from UCL (I had full funding) and a BA from American University.

Should I take another year to apply? Get a loan and continue to sort out funding? or just try to apply to a USA program for 2012? I don't think its my grades or test scores but trying to find someone interested in my topic.

What would you do? Any and all advice is appericated. I really want to go this year but without funding it may be very expensive.

Please comment.